Thread: Grand Power LP9M

Feedback Score

Grand Power LP9M

Here's one that I bet very few of you, if any, have ever seen. I've collected Makarovs and other pistols chambered in 9x18Mak since the '90's. I had every 9x18Mak chambered pistol until I found out about the Grand Power LP9M. Unlike other pistols chambered in 9x18Mak, this one has a polymer frame and a long slide. It begs the question, why would Grand Power make such a pistol? The only thing that I can figure is that it was made to be marketed in the countries of the former eastern block. Since Grand Power sells in the US and they were already making them, they decided to sell a few here. This is just my theory, but I had to get one to recomplete my collection regardless. As you can see, it's a pretty modern looking pistol compared to what you'd expect of a pistol chambered in 9x18Mak. The machining is top tier and the finish is great. The trigger feels great too, though I have not had a chance to shoot it yet.

Feedback Score
    I've owned a GP for many years, they're not well known but very high quality & accurate pistols. Very popular in pistol competitions in other countries. I wasn't aware they were importing any chambered for 9x18 to the US, that's cool. I don't shoot 9x18 but if I did, I'd have one of these. Their .22lr rimfire version is just as well made as their centerfires too. And a company in England makes a nice +7 mag extension kit.
    Is Global Ordinance still the only GP importer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
    Is Global Ordinance still the only GP importer?
    That appears to be the case.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Since you’re into 9x18 and in GA, lemme know if you’re looking for a Walther so chambered. (Dunno if these are rare or anything) Some sort of PPK variant at a LGS near Charleston. Not mine, looks to be in good condition, though. First one I’ve seen or heard of, not that I’ve been looking.

Your PMs are full.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    This gets pretty confusing. There are Walthers chambered in 9x18Ultra and PP clones chambered in 9x18Mak ,but there are no Walthers chambered in the 9x18Mak cartridge. The 9x18Ultra is pretty much a cartridge that's between 380ACP and regular 9mm. 9x18Mak should be thought of a bit differently. Think of starting with a regular 9mm case head and then going straight forward 18mm without the pretty significant tapering that the regular 9mm cartridge has. Then, because the case isn't tapered, the bullet has to be a bit greater in diameter than a regular 9mm bullet (0.363" vs 0.355"). There's no telling how many people have purchased the 9x18Ultra chambered Walthers thinking that they're buying a 9x18Mak chambered pistol. I know that I have educated about three dealers regarding what they actually had. One dealer very much appreciated what I told him and put printouts about the pistol and cartridge on display. I could tell that the other two didn't like what I had told them and were just going to try to pass off the Walthers as being chambered for 9x18Mak anyway. Fiocchi does make 9x18Ultra ammunition, but plan on paying over $0.80 per cartridge for it.

On a related note, here's a picture of an actual Makarov that someone rechambered to 32ACP and then engraved to indicate that it's a Walther, which it's not.

Thanks for letting me know about my PMs being full. I cleared out some of the trash.
    Last edited by Bret; 03-09-24 at 07:52.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The one I looked at did have the word “ultra” engraved somewhere. For some reason I thought it was the model name, not cartridge. Thank’s a bunch for that info.

I’ll have to keep my eyes open for a .32 “007 knockoff”. That’d be a rather novel silencer host. Honestly the main reason I noticed the 9x18 Walther yesterday is that I saw a .32 threaded PPK barrel somewhere.

Thanks again.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.