Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holosun 530 lens cover

Feedback Score
    Not a scientific test, but:

Unassisted naked (old) eyes/no night vision in the mostly dark back yard:

From/at the rear:
    Brightest setting: light projected approx 10ft from rear of optic to my wood fence. Reticle extremely visible
    Bright side of usable setting for low light: no projection. Reticle readily visible

From/at muzzle end:
    Brightest setting: light projected maybe 1ft. forward of objective. Dot/reticle readily visible looking from muzzle to objective lens.
    Bright side of usable low light setting: no projection of light, reticle not readily visible from muzzle end.

This without killflash installed and covers up....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 02-13-24 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Not a scientific test, but:

Unassisted naked (old) eyes/no night vision in the mostly dark back yard:

From/at the rear:
    Brightest setting: light projected approx 10ft from rear of optic to my wood fence. Reticle extremely visible
    Bright side of usable setting for low light: no projection. Reticle readily visible

From/at muzzle end:
    Brightest setting: light projected maybe 1ft. forward of objective. Dot/reticle readily visible looking from muzzle to objective lens.
    Bright side of usable low light setting: no projection of light, reticle not readily visible from muzzle end.

This without killflash installed and covers up....
    Interesting, thanks for posting that. If you weren't already aware, however, the purpose of the killflash isn't so much to keep the reticle from being visible from the muzzle end, but rather to hide reflections from the objective lens which can compromise your position to an enemy. A killflash is also known as an ARD, an Anti Reflection Device. FWIW.
    Last edited by georgeib; 02-13-24 at 21:42.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    ARD! That's the term I was trying to remember! Yeah, lens reflection is what I was referring to with the earlier "hathcockovich" remark. Carlos Hathcock, White Feather, is reputed to have shot a VC sniper in the eye (through the VC's scope) because the objective lens reflection was what Hathcock could see! Comments earlier in the thread had me wondering just how visible an illuminated optic is in the dark and how the ARD might affect illuminated reticle visibility to the "enemy". I may get around to re-installing the ARD to compare... Or not.... Take care
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 02-13-24 at 23:34.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Problem is a reddot objective lense is slanted so any reflection you see would be from being lower than shooter. Stay in the dark vs being in the light and reflection should be a mute issue.

Feedback Score
    Yep. I guess the punchline would be don't be observing from your nighttime hide with your 530 cranked up to it's brightest😎

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Interesting, thanks for posting that. If you weren't already aware, however, the purpose of the killflash isn't so much to keep the reticle from being visible from the muzzle end, but rather to hide reflections from the objective lens which can compromise your position to an enemy. A killflash is also known as an ARD, an Anti Reflection Device. FWIW.
    I picked up a Kill Flash for an Aimpoint PRO intending it as a lens protector since I didn't care for their transparent covers and ditched it quick after seeing how dim the sight picture became.

Spun the Holosun ARDs off as soon as I got them for the same reason. As has been pointed, those are really silly since the Holosuns come with(excellent in my opinion) actual glass flip lens covers front and rear.

Feedback Score
    Ok. Couldn't stand it. Just took gun/530 out in dark backyard and set it on a table. Brightest setting, I could still easily see red dot at 37 long paces (limited by fence) from muzzle end. Lower night compatible setting, not visible. Couple of clicks higher, visible to maybe 4ft. I was still directly in front of rifle. It seems that slanted lens just positioned dot lower in the sight as in not centered in objective lens as you view from front. ARD not installed, but lenscap up.

As was said earlier, this shouldn't have any effect on who wins.....

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thought the ARD/kill flash was to reduce reflections from being seen from the glass, not blocking the reflex dot in the optic from being seen from the front.

Feedback Score
    That's my take. I just got to wondering about how visible that red light was at night. Not so much if the ARD hides the red light. Seems to be agreement that it darkens the sight picture. I think I have found that at a "night setting", there probably isn't any worry about the lighted optic giving you away with or without the ARD installed. Of course I don't know anything about night vision equipment.....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 02-15-24 at 21:24.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123