Thread: Help finding an old thread/post - Smith 640 custom work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Help finding an old thread/post - Smith 640 custom work.

So I've been searching and can't seem to find the old thread, or what may have just been one post within a thread, so I'm phoning a friend...

A long while back - probably greater than 5 years - a Smith 640 J-frame was featured that had some custom work done to include, but not limited to, the installation of night sights. These guns have a pinned front sight unlike most J-frames, so that's not hard, but the dovetail had to be cut into the frame to support mounting a rear sight. I believe there was also some trigger and action work done.

Does anyone remember the post (link would be great), member or gunsmith?

I have a 640-1 I'm wanting to do the same treatment to and the results on the one I remember seeing looked phenomenal. I wouldn't trust very many to mill a revolver.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    No idea if it is who you are looking for but I’ve done a lot of drooling on @Mr. Smith’s work a.k.a. Superior Firearms LLC / Joe Barnsfather
    https://www.superiorfirearmsllc.com/

Feedback Score
    I'd keep the existing 640-1 as is, then buy a 640 Pro before the rebate expires:
    https://grabagun.com/s-w-640-pro-2-1...s-moon-ns.html

I actually used to have a 640-1 which needed work, sold it, then bought a 640 Pro. The existing trigger is fine and also has the ability to use moon-clips. The added benefit of buying a 640 Pro is it can be had right now, with no indefinite time period to search for; ship; and wait for the work to be done at a yet-to-be-determined price.

If the first 640-1 didn't need work, I'd have kept it, but a friend wanted it and didn't mind it the way it was (it had to closed by specifically pressing on the yoke vs. the cylinder, otherwise it worked fine).
    Last edited by L-2; 02-15-24 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    No idea if it is who you are looking for but I’ve done a lot of drooling on @Mr. Smith’s work a.k.a. Superior Firearms LLC / Joe Barnsfather
    https://www.superiorfirearmsllc.com/
    Actually I think that is the place! I looked at their photo gallery and although I didn't see a 640 with rear sight, I remember the photo I saw was also against a tree background like many of their photos are done. I'm going to drop them a line this week. Thanks!
    Last edited by buckshot1220; 02-17-24 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I'd keep the existing 640-1 as is, then buy a 640 Pro before the rebate expires:
    https://grabagun.com/s-w-640-pro-2-1...s-moon-ns.html

I actually used to have a 640-1 which needed work, sold it, then bought a 640 Pro. The existing trigger is fine and also has the ability to use moon-clips. The added benefit of buying a 640 Pro is it can be had right now, with no indefinite time period to search for; ship; and wait for the work to be done at a yet-to-be-determined price.

If the first 640-1 didn't need work, I'd have kept it, but a friend wanted it and didn't mind it the way it was (it had to closed by specifically pressing on the yoke vs. the cylinder, otherwise it worked fine).
    I'd love to grab another one, but I've got too many J-frames already. Part of the reason I'd like to do this to my current 640-1 is to be able to enjoy the old gun as a range toy more often. I carry my M&P 340 or 642 most of the time.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1220 View Post
    Actually I think that is the place! I looked at their photo gallery and although I didn't see a 640 with rear sight, I remember the photo I saw was also against a tree background like many of their photos are done. I'm going to drop them a line last week. Thanks!
    Good deal, you’re welcome.