Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you go individual or trust in this situation?

Feedback Score

Would you go individual or trust in this situation?

Hey all, so my recent acquisition of a GHM9 is the starting point for diving into the NFA rabbit hole. For this particular project, the plan is a suppressor and most likely a Form 1 to SBR it. In the longer run, I figure that I'll pick up a 30 cal can and a 22 can for my bolt guns.

So here's the conundrum...

My wife has zero interest in doing any sort of NFA paperwork for herself to be listed as a responsible party. She just doesn't want to end up on any registry whatsoever, so realistically I am the only person who will be using these items. We already have a general family trust established and my will dictates all my possessions not already listed within that trust automatically become the property of it on death, so the inheritance issue isn't really a factor, either (yes, I know probate is still involved there...but it's open/shut).

So the question I'm facing is this...is it worth doing the trust thing if it's only ever going to be me?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Unless you want someone else to be able to use your NFA items in your absence and they want to do so as well and are willing to go through the background checks each time you add an item to the trust, there’s really no point in going the trust route.

There are two primary reasons that trusts became popular.
    1) To get around a chief LEO who was refusing to sign off on a form. Surprisingly enough, Obama replaced this with a notification requirement. Therefore, this is no longer a valid reason.
    2) To be able to add NFA items that others can use without requiring them to go through a background check each time an item was added. Unsurprisingly, Obama go rid of this by requiring each person on the trust to go through the NFA background check each time an item was added. Therefore, this is no longer a valid reason.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like the trust aspect. Create a separate trust for each item with a beneficiary. Don’t add anyone else until after the NFA item has been acquired. Then they don’t have to do all the paperwork but they can legally make use of the item.

Then it makes things easier to designate who gets what (beneficiary) upon your passing as they can be set up as the beneficiary.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Trust. My wife is the same but for the sake of being able to handle items in my absence she puts up with the fingerprints, background checks, etc. It’s the lesser of two evils.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I also have a GHM9 and have been procrastinating on this and my first NFA for too long.

Maybe I’m just being weird but there’s something about going the individual route and having to engrave my full name instead of a trust name. It probably doesn’t matter to some people though.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always suggest getting the trust, mostly because if something changes in the future your paying another $200 to put it in a trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Maybe I’m just being weird but there’s something about going the individual route and having to engrave my full name instead of a trust name. It probably doesn’t matter to some people though.
    I prefer factory SBR's and will even pay a little more overall for one just so my name doesn't have to be engraved on the firearm. That said, a good engraver can engrave so small and in an inconspicuous place that it's hard to see.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you don't add anyone to the trust until after the item has been approved, you would be the only one needing to send in fingerprints. A very simple extra page added to the trust is all it takes after approval.
    Last edited by georgeib; 02-25-24 at 11:23.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    I always suggest getting the trust, mostly because if something changes in the future your paying another $200 to put it in a trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This, and your wife is already tied to your assets by marriage. If there is a list, shes already on it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Single shot trust is the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast