Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the 44 Rem Mag done.

Feedback Score

Got the 44 Rem Mag done.

Finally got my son's AR done. Putting a rimed cartridge in a rimless bolt head like the AR is a bit of a re arrangement of stuff but in the end works pretty good.
    Heres some pics,

Magazine is aftermarket Desert Eagle 8 rd cap. Target is first group sight in at 30 yards, 5 rds PMC 240 JHP. If I had a crosshair & rear sand bag I would have a clean one holer. Funny no one has made a 44 rimmed AR bolt head for these. I had to mod a 450 bushy bolt and headspace on cartridge mouth to get this right. Ramp out the 6 Oclock lug out of the barrel extension. A few tweaks hear n there and bingo, a nice running 44!

Feedback Score
    Id say but why. But hell its cool so why the hell not. Cool Idea.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nicely done.

A lifetime ago I modified an XP-100 in 7mm BR to a magazine fed gun using cut up 1911 magazines for use in the defunct “Masters” event.
    Yours looks like a similarly involved project.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Is this something that will run consistently and reliably or "proof of concept?"

Feedback Score
    With the lock up modifications, it figures more on a concept for now since it pretty much maxes out the AR design strength for this 36K pressure round. It will get a fine bolt head inspection after each firing all tho, its a hunting gun rather than a range toy. Time will tell if factory loads will be in the safe zone for ever.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    That is a pretty cool concept gun, but man-o-man those are some thin walls on that bolt head. You may be better off with a .41 mag with a rim dia of .492” vs the .44’s .514”, that would give you an additional .011” thickness on the walls and the D.E. was chambered for that cartridges, so mags should be available.

Feedback Score
    Your right, a 41 would be a better choice for this bolt head for sure. Mags are not so available nor the shelf ammo. My next step is to reconfigure the magazine rearward to leave the lower extension lug alone. right now, thats the most obvious weak point aside from the lug walls. According to a article I read, the lack of wall thickness there put bolt head strength right in the factory 44 loading pressure. Thats nearly half the 5.56 bolt head pressure of some 60K psi. In reality, like I said at the begining, a bolt head and barrel extension both need to accommodate a larger diameter bolt head body. This would solve all the negatives of a conversion like this. I'm hoping the public will contact Tromix and ask for a complete upper ready to go since they were the originators of the concept.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    This is the stuff I like to see, its American Small Time Innovation to the max! Keep up the good work and keep refining! I think you are onto something. 44mag and 357mag are some of the top pistol caliber into rifles for alot of folks that are limited to straight wall pistol caliber rifles for hunting!
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    I am impressed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasho101 View Post
    Id say but why. But hell its cool so why the hell not. Cool Idea.
    Amen to that, this is awesome!!!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast