Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Noveske VLTOR MUR

Feedback Score
    I already got the Noveske 16" recon barrel and Noveske MUR upper receiver, so I'm thinking about using more Noveske parts but I have some more questions maybe you guys could help me with. A standard F/A LMT is my usual go-to BCG. How good are the Noveske BCG? One of them has a Nitride finish, and another has a proprietary finish they call DLC diamond like carbon. Should I just stick with a standard LMT? I don't shoot a lot and don't use a can but might someday.

I prefer Geissle rails, I've used them in the past and like them, but I am thinking about trying out a Noveske 15" NSR 4th gen N4 rail. My question is, what is used to give it anti-rotation? I see that the receiver has a hole above the gas tube hole. Is there a corresponding hole in the rail, so I can put a pin in there? How does that rail compare to Geissle rails, like a MK14, or MK8. I'm not putting an IR laser on it but maybe someday. Probably just a light and bipod will be mounted to the rail. I'm guessing the MK8 is a more rigid rail than the NSR Noveske rail, would a more rigid rail help with accuracy?

I have A2 bird cage flash hider on my other rifles. What is the deal with those flaming pig flash hiders, are they any good?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Yes, there's a corresponding hole in the N4 rail for an anti-rotation pin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    Yes, there's a corresponding hole in the N4 rail for an anti-rotation pin
    Cool, thanks

Feedback Score
    As I explained in the original post that most rails with anti-rotation tabs won't fit on a Noveske branded Vltor MUR and Defaultmp3 did a good job of showing the reason with pics, here is another pic showing why these rails won't fit. When I first started this thread I didn't have the Noveske MUR to use for comparison. I now have the receiver so I took a picture to help show why the Noveske Vltor Mur is different from the Vltor MUR-1A. The receiver on top in the pic is an old DPMS receiver with a Geissle MK14 rail. The receiver in the middle is a LMT MARS with a Geissle MK16 rail. The receiver at the bottom is the Noveske Vltor MUR. I used pointers to show how the Noveske is thicker where the rail tabs need to fit on the rail. I could shave 1/16" off each tab of a MK14 rail and it would fit, but it won't fit without doing that, or some kind of modification. I like that the receiver is thicker in this location, I think it makes for a more rigid and stronger receiver. I have decided to use a Noveske rail, it uses a pin for anti-rotation instead of tabs. When companies started making so many rails with anti-rotation tabs, Vltor came out with their newer version of the MUR so these rails would fit. In doing so, I think they lost what set the MUR apart from most other receivers. The Noveske MUR retains this feature.

Last edited by e z money; 03-19-24 at 13:46.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12