Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brownells taking it to the next level?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    From the Brownells website: "Gas blocks are vented forward, to reduce gas sent rearward into the system, and are mated specific to the 10.4 or 14.5/16 inch barrel lengths."
    You are right, I was wrong. Could have sworn when I started looking into these they weren't. I stand corrected.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    You are right, I was wrong. Could have sworn when I started looking into these they weren't. I stand corrected.
    Maybe at first they weren't vented? That quote was from the latest ad for the chrome lined ones.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    The early 416 gas blocks were not vented. I got a suprise putting my thumb over the vent on the second round of issued ones.... fortunately wearing gloves.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA5326 View Post
    The early 416 gas blocks were not vented. I got a suprise putting my thumb over the vent on the second round of issued ones.... fortunately wearing gloves.
    I always liked how they vented forward and upward; crap didn't build up underneath the handguard that way. Of course later they came out with longer handguards that covered the gas block.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Chrome lined 416 clone uppers:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/...?sku=430106864

Damn it, just paid the CC off......now I have to launder our own money from my wife's knowledge again!

I just happen to have two 416 handguards in my pile-o-parts that I knew would come in handy some day!
    Yeah but chromed lined by Faxon who has a less than stellar reputation for making quality barrels.

Chrome lined bore and chamber of these barrels has been the go-to for hard use rifle barrels for decades, and you will be extremely pleased with the smooth and crisp application by Faxon in these bores. The chrome is well applied, and just extends over the crown of the barrel and the edge of the chamber. These medium profile barrels are made by Faxon, who button rifles from 4150 chrome moly steel, the top choice for hard use barrels. The 1-7 twist accommodate heavy projectiles and the barrels feature ½-28 muzzle threads for the attachment of the muzzle device of your choice. A matte black phosphate provides a corrosion resistant exterior.
    Thats not a good start for a operating system that gets its famed ruggedness by using secret squirrel materials and German over engineering.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The one thing so far that has stopped me from buying one is the faxon barrel.

If they’d gone for a quality barrel from Daniel defense or FN I’d have bought one already. I’d have also happily paid 100-200$ more for it to come with a good barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    The one thing so far that has stopped me from buying one is the faxon barrel.

If they’d gone for a quality barrel from Daniel defense or FN I’d have bought one already. I’d have also happily paid 100-200$ more for it to come with a good barrel.
    Never used a Faxon anything, so are they that bad??? Some of the review knocks against the BRN4 seems to related to finish machining on the receiver, but I’ve not heard/read any knocks against the barrel.

Does anyone else make 416 barrels so one could build using the Brownells parts??

Been eyeing one for a while. Not that I’m such a hard user, but more of a shits and giggles type build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Never used a Faxon anything, so are they that bad??? Some of the review knocks against the BRN4 seems to related to finish machining on the receiver, but I’ve not heard/read any knocks against the barrel.

Does anyone else make 416 barrels so one could build using the Brownells parts??

Been eyeing one for a while. Not that I’m such a hard user, but more of a shits and giggles type build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From what I’ve encountered the fax on barrels are hit or mis and/or just mediocre.

Brownells is trying to replicate the ‘best’ upper. I’d have hoped they would have used a really good barrel. Both FN and Daniel Defense OEM barrels for other companies. Like Centurian and Hodge defense. Brownells could have as well, instead they had a company that is the ‘budget’ market segment to do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    From what I’ve encountered the fax on barrels are hit or mis and/or just mediocre.

Brownells is trying to replicate the ‘best’ upper. I’d have hoped they would have used a really good barrel. Both FN and Daniel Defense OEM barrels for other companies. Like Centurian and Hodge Defense. Brownells could have as well, instead they had a company that is the ‘budget’ market segment to do it.
    I have one of their 14.5" barrels on another AR......hot damn, even a couple years ago it was $450! Nice barrel though, shoots better than I do. I can only imagine what that would have added to the price of the Brownells clone upper. I could definitely do something less on the price scale (not necessarily less quality), like the DD or FN that you mention. Unfortunately that wasn't offered nor does either entity make one for the 416 clone.

Since Faxon was primarily known for nitrided barrels I never paid them much attention, although I've obviously heard of them. Guess I'll see what card in the barrel deck I've been dealt.....got the "shipped" email today. [shrug]
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Is the barrel going to last as long as a CHF barrel? No. Would a nitrided barrel last longer I don’t know. People are going to complain either way. Button rifles barrels last long enough for most people and I don’t think the vast majority are going to be firing FA. Budget barrel vs CHF, people are gonna complain either way. Now if Faxon quality in general is an issue that’s different.

I would say most people buying a clone of any sort will be ok with it regardless.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast