Thread: Proper orientation of a 3-prong flash hider?

Feedback Score

Proper orientation of a 3-prong flash hider?

Not going to be suppressed. One prong straight up or straight down?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Not going to be suppressed. One prong straight up or straight down?
    I’m not convinced it matters much, but most agree to put one tine down. There is no effect on recoil or muzzle climb whatsoever in reference to timing. I’m calling dust signature a “maybe”.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    In the case of types like the FOSSA one of the prongs is wider than the other two and should face down.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ighlight=Fossa

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    In the case of types like the FOSSA one of the prongs is wider than the other two and should face down.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ighlight=Fossa
    That’s one of the best muzzle devices available. And you’re right.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m not convinced it matters much, but most agree to put one tine down. There is no effect on recoil or muzzle climb whatsoever in reference to timing. I’m calling dust signature a “maybe”.
    Yeah that's maybe why I was leaning towards "one down", but I figured I'd pose that question to the SME's! Thanks man!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    That’s one of the best muzzle devices available. And you’re right.
    They’re awesome, I’ve got a couple. Had one pinned on my 14.5” BCM ELW BFH upper. I wish White Sound would get their shit together and start producing them again, I’d buy more. I think they are pretty hard to beat especially if going suppressorless.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Yeah that's maybe why I was leaning towards "one down", but I figured I'd pose that question to the SME's! Thanks man!
    I would

Feedback Score
    Time it so that one prong is facing down. If you're in a very dusty environment it's not going to make much of a difference as the jets of gas blowing out to either side of it will still kick up dust, but in other environments it should stop it from kicking up dirt if there's a bare patch under your shooting position.

Note that if you're that concerned about giving yourself away with a dust signature, you can put a piece of cardboard, tarp, or anything else on the ground under where your muzzle device will be and it will negate the dust puff. Even simpler is to pour a bit of water in that area to keep the dust/dirt from puffing.

Feedback Score
    Tines forward . . .