Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting the Harrell's Powder Measure (throw).

Feedback Score
    I was impressed with my Harrell thrower. Bought a fancy balance to confirm results then trickle up. After a while, I just used the throw and moved on. Did not take long to throw a full tray of charges. My conclusion was similar to yours. +/- .2 grain with RL-15...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I can live with the +/- at literally 5 times the speed to meter powder. And if you know how to find a node (which I'm not the best at that process), the +/- shouldn't change velocity much.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Have you considered trying to find a ball powder that will work for your loads? I’ll bet that will throw spot on with tiny deviations.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I run some ball for 5.56 on the Dillon. But I still love IMR powders and Varget is what I use for Bolt Gun 308.

The Harrell's has a niche place for me now. I wish I'd have used it when we were burning through 8 lbs of IMR 3031 for 223 blasting ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use a powder measure whenever possible, definitely saves time. There was a Harrels at a garage sale last year but I missed it by a few minutes. I'm currently using a Lee PPM and a Deluxe PPM. They're pretty decent.

With a little parameter tuning and the straw mod, my chargemaster runs much faster.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    With a little parameter tuning and the straw mod, my chargemaster runs much faster.
    My Chargemaster is a friggin psycho. It'll RANDOMLY fast charge a 223 load like it's spinning up a 308 or 300 WM charge and overshoot the hell out of the charge.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had mine do that a couple of times. Things that have helped are letting it warm up for 30 minutes and calibrating before throwing charges. I also make sure it is away from fluorescent lights, cell phones, draft sources such as A/C vents, and vibrations from music, etc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We shot a 12 round sample of the loaded ammo today and there was an S.D. of 12.8. Very acceptable.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Do you recall your ES number?

Was this a 223 load?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My brother uses a Harrells and loves it. I've used a Redding BR-3 forever.

Mark, you can modify your Chargemaster's settings with a few keystrokes. I love their convenience but otherwise they're agonizingly slow. When I load 7.62 or .338 Lapua in bulk I'll run two machines at the same time (I can drop the charge from the first machine as the second finishes dispensing and balancing).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast