Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK 47 ammo

Feedback Score

AK 47 ammo

I was thinking today about AK 47 ammo, and why we really don't see any high performance ammo. I mean why no 90 grain loads or 100 grain loads to get a little more speed?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m guessing that probably has to do with the unAmerican projectile diameter. Yeah, I know, some guns and some projectiles are .308, and some would certainly debate whether it matters. But, if I were in the market of making and selling high-end duty ammo, I would not touch 7.62x39. And it seems some that do, try to cut corners by using projectiles meant for larger cartridges.

I think x39 suffers the same problem US AKs have. People think they’re somehow super cheap to make in comparison to western stuff, because of all the stuff getting surplussed at the demise of the USSR. That’s only true if you cut corners, or you obtained it for near-free because near-anarchy.

Given that the main thing going for these weapons vs an M4 was price, the market has become built around garbage. Manufacturers seem to feel that the market doesn’t support the cost and effort of designing high-quality x39, and they’re probably right.
    Last edited by 1168; 03-17-24 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    I of course have my AR platforms in 5.56, 6.5G, I also have a 6.5C rifle.

But I have 2 7.62x39 guns a PTR 32 and a Zastava, I wish it was possible to have a wider range of available ammo for these guns.

I am afraid you hit the nail on the head, for a variety of reasons AK's will stay right where they are and not see the advancement that the AR has.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In my book the performance ammo for X39 is Federal Fusion. Wish I could afford to have a stock of it. It's among the most accurate in my experience and the bullet is a performer. Anything Lapua is good too, but..... expensive and hard to find, over the years, over the decades. And now, total hen's teeth. Much of Lapua's production of X39 and X54R is said to be going to Ukraine. I'll bet Lapua's belted fodder-grade 7.62X54R is more accurate than almost anything else out there. I hate the thought of that primo ammo being hosed out of smooth-bore Maxim's and PKM's by the trainload!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The only reason anyone in the US ever cared about 7.62x39 was that it was basically free to shoot.

You tell people that the $5/box stuff is gone forever and what you can get, if you can even get any, is approaching $1/rd they are absolutely not interested. And that's FMJ crap. Anything "high performance" would have had limited audience even if blaster-crap was still cheap. Now...Forget it. Nobody's gonna make it because there's no market for $30/box x39.

What we need instead is a state-side plant shoveling shitty steel cased crap out the door as cheap as possible, but that's probably not gonna happen either.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    In my book the performance ammo for X39 is Federal Fusion.
    I like this stuff too. I don't see it in Federal's catalog anymore...I wonder if they discontinued it?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Wasn’t that stuff Nato flavored in weight, causing a low impact velocity? We know Fusion is capable of expanding as designed at some pretty shitty velocities, but that would be cutting it rather close for 7.62x39, no? I’m guessing ~2000fps ish at the muzzle?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    The only reason anyone in the US ever cared about 7.62x39 was that it was basically free to shoot.

You tell people that the $5/box stuff is gone forever and what you can get, if you can even get any, is approaching $1/rd they are absolutely not interested. And that's FMJ crap. Anything "high performance" would have had limited audience even if blaster-crap was still cheap. Now...Forget it. Nobody's gonna make it because there's no market for $30/box x39.

What we need instead is a state-side plant shoveling shitty steel cased crap out the door as cheap as possible, but that's probably not gonna happen either.
    This ^^. If i'm going to spend money on precision ammo, it sure won't ever be 7.62x39. I do have some Hornady 7.62x39 factory ammo in 123 AMAX and 123 SST that performs decently, but it's well over $1 per round now, which is absolutely ridiculous. The whole draw to the AK for most people (myself included) was a cheap rifle that shot cheap ammo. Unfortunately those days seem to be pretty much gone.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Wasn’t that stuff Nato flavored in weight, causing a low impact velocity? We know Fusion is capable of expanding as designed at some pretty shitty velocities, but that would be cutting it rather close for 7.62x39, no? I’m guessing ~2000fps ish at the muzzle?
    It was 123gr @ 2350fps per Federal. I never chrono'd any myself, however, but I'd expect it's in the neighborhood of 2200fps real-world.

Kinda moot at this point, though, as it seems to be discontinued.

Looks like Hornday still catalogs their SST loading under the Black product-line. Still 123gr, however, and list is ~$2/rd.
    Last edited by kerplode; 03-18-24 at 13:22.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    It was 123gr @ 2350fps per Federal. I never chrono'd any myself, however, but I'd expect it's in the neighborhood of 2200fps real-world.

Kinda moot at this point, though, as it seems to be discontinued.

Looks like Hornday still catalogs their SST loading under the Black product-line. Still 123gr, however, and list is ~$2/rd.
    Thanks. I’d have sworn it was 150gr like 5 years ago. I’m probably thinking of something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast