Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: US Troops Expelled from Niger

Feedback Score
    Question for those in the know: is 3rd SFG responsible for "tropical" Africa too? i.e. Cameroon, Burundi, Congo, Liberia, Guinea, etc. The places once known as "deep dark Africa" where there are triple canopy rainforests (jungles). That would be an interesting scope of responsibility, ranging from flat-out deserts in the northern AO's, to savannahs, to jungles.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Question for those in the know: is 3rd SFG responsible for "tropical" Africa too? i.e. Cameroon, Burundi, Congo, Liberia, Guinea, etc. The places once known as "deep dark Africa" where there are triple canopy rainforests (jungles). That would be an interesting scope of responsibility, ranging from flat-out deserts in the northern AO's, to savannahs, to jungles.
    Yes they are. Other groups have had responsibilities on the continent in the past but 3rd SFG owns Africa as a whole at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Africa is their primary AOR. MARSOC also has a footprint in Africa, and the Navy has taken over as the leading enterprise for the horn.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Yesterday a friend came to visit and shoot the shit. He is with a 3rd Group ODA. He was in Niger last summer during the coup. This cross-threads into the recruitment/retention threads.

They were training a Nigerian unit. His ODA are trained in French and Arabic. No one in the unit spoke either, and they all spoke one of four dialects of the local tribe. So their terp had to interpret everything, four times, in four different dialects. He said his ODA leadership had gone to company and batt regarding the uselessness of the languages, yet they are all having to go through a refresher for both languages prior to redeployment to Africa this fall. They were denied the extra time to train in other things they actually do over having to train in languages they already know. Furthermore, they could train and advise, but not accompany on missions. When the unit would get into trouble, they would react as a QRF and have to be there anyway.

The coup. They were remote, woke up and kitted up to do an op, the unit's Fox (intel guy) said to stand down, there was a coup going on. Half the military followed the old guy, half the new guy. They didn't know who their unit followed, and said guys were just walking out of the military: changing clothes and leaving.

They finally got orders to evac AMCITs, and "were going all over Niger looking for these people, most of whom never checked in with the embassy." The pro-coup forces were killing all known French (had stormed and burned the French embassy), and fairly indiscriminately killing white people. They were told to go low profile, and according to the RSO, that meant wearing civvies, but kitted up, all weapons stored in the back of their up-armored Land Cruisers, which weren't tinted. He said they would ride through riots in the streets, people would see white people, not know they weren't French, and start shooting the vehicles.

Got orders to evac the US embassy. The embassy would not allow them on embassy grounds, said that DS would "use diplomacy to talk their way out of violence." DS made them park in the street, where hostile crowds were encroaching, throwing things at them. Embassy staff had to walk through opened gates to get to the vehicles. Then, one of the under-ambassadors decided he was in charge and started giving the ODA team leader orders. He and the team leader "had it out", team leader told him he could "get his bag and walk the **** to the airport on his own," and ordered the convoy to drive away. They got about 30 feet when the guy flagged them down and told the team leader he would follow his orders.

He said the Marines MSG were good to deal with, they had responsibility for securing the ambo and the SCIF and sensitive/TSS stuff and did a good job.

After evac, they were told to hold tight as a QRF/CRF until there was a plan, but sat around a secured compound and did nothing until they were ordered to leave.

He said there is a ton of work to be had in Africa, but even in the countries that want us there, our military/administration is risk-averse so unwilling to let them do what they need to do. He said it is 180 degrees than from before Biden (admin), even Obama's admin let them work like they needed to work. Morale in SF is low, having reverted to a 'peacetime' mindset with a lot of leaders. They are also working harder: because of the lack of recruitment/retention, they have fewer people in the SF Q course and pipeline, so fewer people on an ODA (supposed to be 12). His is the only ODA in his company with two medics, all others have just 1, and a lot of medics are getting out because they are overworked. He said 2/3 of their training budget got pulled into the Ukraine aid package, so a lot of schools and training ops have been canceled or denied.

He has 12 years in, will do one more deployment and make a decision to get out altogether, or go to a SMU.
    Last edited by chuckman; 03-26-24 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Yesterday a friend came to visit and shoot the shit. He is with a 3rd Group ODA. He was in Niger last summer during the coup. This cross-threads into the recruitment/retention threads.

They were training a Nigerian unit. His ODA are trained in French and Arabic. No one in the unit spoke either, and they all spoke one of four dialects of the local tribe. So their terp had to interpret everything, four times, in four different dialects. He said his ODA leadership had gone to company and batt regarding the uselessness of the languages, yet they are all having to go through a refresher for both languages prior to redeployment to Africa this fall. They were denied the extra time to train in other things they actually do over having to train in languages they already know. Furthermore, they could train and advise, but not accompany on missions. When the unit would get into trouble, they would react as a QRF and have to be there anyway.

The coup. They were remote, woke up and kitted up to do an op, the unit's Fox (intel guy) said to stand down, there was a coup going on. Half the military followed the old guy, half the new guy. They didn't know who their unit followed, and said guys were just walking out of the military: changing clothes and leaving.

They finally got orders to evac AMCITs, and "were going all over Niger looking for these people, most of whom never checked in with the embassy." The pro-coup forces were killing all known French (had stormed and burned the French embassy), and fairly indiscriminately killing white people. They were told to go low profile, and according to the RSO, that meant wearing civvies, but kitted up, all weapons stored in the back of their up-armored Land Cruisers, which weren't tinted. He said they would ride through riots in the streets, people would see white people, not know they weren't French, and start shooting the vehicles.

Got orders to evac the US embassy. The embassy would not allow them on embassy grounds, said that DS would "use diplomacy to talk their way out of violence." DS made them park in the street, where hostile crowds were encroaching, throwing things at them. Embassy staff had to walk through opened gates to get to the vehicles. Then, one of the under-ambassadors decided he was in charge and started giving the ODA team leader orders. He and the team leader "had it out", team leader told him he could "get his bag and walk the **** to the airport on his own," and ordered the convoy to drive away. They got about 30 feet when the guy flagged them down and told the team leader he would follow his orders.

He said the Marines MSG were good to deal with, they had responsibility for securing the ambo and the SCIF and sensitive/TSS stuff and did a good job.

After evac, they were told to hold tight as a QRF/CRF until there was a plan, but sat around a secured compound and did nothing until they were ordered to leave.

He said there is a ton of work to be had in Africa, but even in the countries that want us there, our military/administration is risk-averse so unwilling to let them do what they need to do. He said it is 180 degrees than from before Biden (admin), even Obama's admin let them work like they needed to work. Morale in SF is low, having reverted to a 'peacetime' mindset with a lot of leaders. They are also working harder: because of the lack of recruitment/retention, they have fewer people in the SF Q course and pipeline, so fewer people on an ODA (supposed to be 12). His is the only ODA in his company with two medics, all others have just 1, and a lot of medics are getting out because they are overworked. He said 2/3 of their training budget got pulled into the Ukraine aid package, so a lot of schools and training ops have been canceled or denied.

He has 12 years in, will do one more deployment and make a decision to get out altogether, or go to a SMU.
    I was there last summer. Pretty much everyone from there that I interacted with, including local soldiers guarding shit, dudes selling mangos in the street, grocery cashiers, and cops all spoke French. The local periodicals are published in French, also. Food and drink labels are in French. Military patches and organization names are in French. The money is in French. Dudes that work at the embassies speak French. Even the near-feral kids speak French.

East Africa is a totally different story.

There are certainly leashes in place politically in AFRICOM that weren’t always so short.
    Last edited by 1168; 03-26-24 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I was there last summer. Pretty much everyone from there that I interacted with, including local soldiers guarding shit, dudes selling mangos in the street, grocery cashiers, and cops all spoke French. The local periodicals are published in French, also. Food and drink labels are in French. Military patches and organization names are in French. The money is in French. Dudes that work at the embassies speak French. Even the near-feral kids speak French.

East Africa is a totally different story.

There are certainly leashes in place politically in AFRICOM that weren’t always so short.
    He was in the west, but I do not know where in the west. He did say near Mali. All of my Africa time was in far west Africa, the horn, and southwest. No French, a lot of the Queen's English.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I know exactly where he was. In fact, I probably know who he is.

The Queen’s English works well in past English colonies like Kenya. As you know, French will work in DJ, but not in Somalia or Libya.

French-speaking westerners get targeted sometimes. There’s a lot of anti-French sentiment spilling out of Mali.
    Last edited by 1168; 03-26-24 at 13:00.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I know exactly where he was. In fact, I probably know who he is.

The Queen’s English works well in past English colonies like Kenya. As you know, French will work in DJ, but not in Somalia or Libya.

French-speaking westerners get targeted sometimes. There’s a lot of anti-French sentiment spilling out of Mali.
    English worked well enough for me in a lot of places, but I know only a handful of phrases in Arabic and zip of anything else on the Horn. But then it wasn't as important to me, I wasn't a "By, with, through..." guy.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    English worked well enough for me in a lot of places, but I know only a handful of phrases in Arabic and zip of anything else on the Horn. But then it wasn't as important to me, I wasn't a "By, with, through..." guy.
    Yup. Arabic will get you by much of the time in the coastal nations on the Horn. I much prefer the Horn to W Africa in some ways. They have wars differently. The food is better.
    Last edited by 1168; 03-26-24 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I watched Trafficked With Mariana van Zeller last night (aired on NatGeo 3/20/24) and she was trapped in Niger during the coup. She'd been reporting on terrorist groups robbing gold mining operations in the country, to fund terrorism. If you don't know about her, she is a true investigative journalist who goes to very dangerous places to interview very dangerous people. I honestly don't know how she's stayed alive through all of it. I've watched every episode of this show since S1E1 and this was the most pensive and afraid I've ever seen her. As usual, the US State Dept. was worse than useless. She and her team were ultimately extracted by a private rescue team. She was in tears when they finally went wheels up.

Anyway, they cover the US funding and drone base angle in the episode. It isn't posted on NatGeo's website just yet, but I'd rank it as a must watch. They also touch on Russia's role in destabilizing Niger and the region. Link below along with a Rogan podcast where she discusses it, (which I haven't watched yet).

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...p/vdka36076744

Last edited by glocktogo; 03-27-24 at 10:50.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345