Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buffer Spring Question?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    I use this setup and it measured exactly what you said it would in a prior post above
    Pretty cool rig, but again.... why not just buy in spec springs and change them out periodically???
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Pretty cool rig, but again.... why not just buy in spec springs and change them out periodically???
    Because humans are meddlesome creatures.
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I already owned the gauge for checking Motorcycle valve and clutch springs, so decided to see for myself. And how do you know a spring your buying is in spec?

Feedback Score
    Use a trusted source?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    I never liked terms such as " a 15 pound spring", as it doesn't tell you much, but generally is the load developed at solid height, or the maximum force it can develop. Not very useful. (This would be a 12 pound spring) To confuse things, sometimes the term is used to denote the spring rate, (in which case the action spring would be around 1.5 pounds).
    Agreed. The confusion comes from that nobody cares to ask for a precise definition. I tried and got different answers from different people who were supposed to know (spring manufacturers). When pressed, they all ended saying "I'm not sure". Finally I got a good answer from an old timer. The spring's poundage is product of its Hook's constant (lbf/inch) and its natural length. Or it is 100x of the pound force produced for each percent change in length.

The carbine spring in your example

Lo = 10.7", K=1.53 lbf/inch

K*Lo=16.3lbf, or it is a 16 pound spring per this definition.

With that calculation actually becomes even simpler. Again for the same carbine spring, as per the forces given, the install length is 6.8", and the compressed length is 3.2".

1.53*(10.7-6.8)=6 lbf
    1.53*(10.7-3.2)=11.5 lbf

Or
    16.3*((10.7-6.8)/10.7)=6 lbf
    16.3*((10.7-3.2)/10.7)=11.5 lbf

Note that the poundage is independent of the spring's natural length, unlike K, which is handy for calculating shortened spring.

2 coils off 38 coils. The new natural length is

36/38*10.7=10.1"

16.3*(1-6.8/10.1)=5.4 lbf
    16.3*(1-3.2/10.1)=11.1 lbf

You can arrive at the same figures with the K method.

The force is weaker, but not really alarming. Actually in a quest to make a "gas assisted straight pull action" I cut the spring of an AR -10 pretty short. No problem, not that anyone should try though.

Does solid height mean compressing spring till it coil binds(cannot be compressed anymore)? According to the old timer who explained spring poundage to me, one should avoid that in use. It could pass the spring's limit and it could take a permanent set. There should be limiter in design that keeps this from happening.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tangolima; 03-23-24 at 17:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
    Does solid height mean compressing spring till it coil binds(cannot be compressed anymore)? According to the old timer who explained spring poundage to me, one should avoid that in use. It could pass the spring's limit and it could take a permanent set. There should be limiter in design that keeps this from happening.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    NOTE: When counting coils, only count active coils.

The action spring has closed ends, so the last coil on either end doesn't count - 36 active coils.

Solid height (or solid length) is simply, the number of coils (active and inactive) times the wire diameter, it is as short as the spring can physically be (action spring = 2.74"). If you want your spring to last a long time, you should stay at 130% of the solid length for maximum service defection. For the action spring, this would be 3.56", so its design is a little over-compressed. (Just about all gun recoil and magazine springs are. That's why they have relatively short lives, compared to, say car suspension springs.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    Use a trusted source?
    Trust but Verify? Ronald Reagan

Is Sprinco a trusted source?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    Trust but Verify? Ronald Reagan

Is Sprinco a trusted source?
    Not for me.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This is starting to remind me of the grip screw spec thread.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    This is starting to remind me of the grip screw spec thread.
    Thanks for the reminder because I've been meaning to ask, has there been any new developments in grip screws lately? I hope not, because I'm pretty settled at this point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast