Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buffer Spring Question?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Thanks for the reminder because I've been meaning to ask, has there been any new developments in grip screws lately? I hope not, because I'm pretty settled at this point.
    Do you think self locking thread inserts (Helicoils®) are necessary?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Do you think self locking thread inserts (Helicoils®) are necessary?
    Unless someone stripped out the threads, not really... At least not for the grip screw. I'd like to go with red Nylok patches on all my grip screws (like they have on the mil-spec stock screws), but that would be one heck of a custom order to make. Personally I'm not really a fan of the star lock washers.

I know some manufacturers of FF handguards go the Heli-Coil route for their mounting screws because small diameter threaded fasteners combined with 6061 aluminum threads is a recipe for disaster.

Trijicon also used Heli-Coils on their ACOGs and VCOGs which are 7075 aluminum, but because of people that went to change out the factory mount having issues with the Heli-Coils coming out with the screws due to the threadlocker that Trijicon was using on the screws on installation, they eventually ended up switching to Spiralock thread inserts so they didn't have to use any liquid threadlockers. Of course the torque specs changed along with that change.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 03-25-24 at 21:01.

Feedback Score
    I actually use aeroshell, just like barrel nuts. Snugs right up and doesn't back out, also use star washers. Use the same on castle nuts and receiver extensions.
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    I actually use aeroshell, just like barrel nuts. Snugs right up and doesn't back out, also use star washers. Use the same on castle nuts and receiver extensions.
    I have considered using the same moly paste I use for barrel nuts, castle nuts, receiver extension threads and muzzle threads on the grip and stock screws. I did use Slip2000 EWG for grip and stock screws at one point, but it was too much of a pain to clean it out of those small 1/4" diameter threaded holes, so moly would be worse yet when it comes to the mess it leaves behind.

Currently I just use a heavy dose of Break Free Synthetic Gun Oil for installation of grip and stock screws. Seems to do well with the light installation torque values being applied and there's no mess to clean up if/when I go to take things apart. Oil just blows out with more oil and a blast of air from the air compressor.

I've also tried Loctite blue 243 threadlocker on grip and stock screws. I can't say I was a fan of the removal effort, but those screws certainly wouldn't be coming loose on their own.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 03-25-24 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    I also apply it to the face of the endplate against the castle nut, torque and stake.
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    Unless someone stripped out the threads, not really... At least not for the grip screw. I'd like to go with red Nylok patches on all my grip screws (like they have on the mil-spec stock screws), but that would be one heck of a custom order to make. Personally I'm not really a fan of the star lock washers.

I know some manufacturers of FF handguards go the Heli-Coil route for their mounting screws because small diameter threaded fasteners combined with 6061 aluminum threads is a recipe for disaster.

Trijicon also used Heli-Coils on their ACOGs and VCOGs which are 7075 aluminum, but because of people that went to change out the factory mount having issues with the Heli-Coils coming out with the screws due to the threadlocker that Trijicon was using on the screws on installation, they eventually ended up switching to Spiralock thread inserts so they didn't have to use any liquid threadlockers. Of course the torque specs changed along with that change.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There were over 250,000 Heli-Coil inserts in every space shuttle. Why? All of the above use lightweight, exotic materials and need strong threads.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    There were over 250,000 Heli-Coil inserts in every space shuttle. Why? All of the above use lightweight, exotic materials and need strong threads.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    What about the other 100+ successful flights lol? One blew up due to O ring failures, the other to heat tile failure, nothing to do with heli coils. So really what is your point?
    Last edited by the AR-15 Junkie; 03-26-24 at 14:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Ah, that's actually fairly typical with me. I'm not quick to get a joke.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast