Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Only American Aircraft to Survive 200 Bombing Missions during WWII

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Wonder what's the most missions for a B-17...those chaps had one hell of a job.
    I had a cousin that flew 30 missions over Europe with the 384th Bombardment Group as a B-17 gunner. He flew his last mission th day before D Day.

This is him.
    https://384thbombgroup.com/_content/...PersonKey=7365
    Last edited by P2Vaircrewman; 03-24-24 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Not the plane for inexperienced pilots.

Really enjoyed the video, thanks for posting it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Best part of the video was the pilots checking out the secretaries ass on the way out of the office at the end, bet you don't get that in today's training films.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Jimmy Doolittle saved the B-26 program. It had a reputation as the "widow maker" if it lost an engine. He went down, by himself without a copilot, a shut down an engine on the takeoff roll. He continued the takeoff and went out and accomplished normal maneuvers with that engine shutdown. Came back and landed then did it all over again with the other engine shutdown. Confidence in the airplane went up and the green pilots got more training on how to handle it. Doolittle was a helluva a pilot and commander.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Wonder what's the most missions for a B-17...those chaps had one hell of a job.
    According to some history, the 17 guys got to go home after 25 missions. (Memphis Belle) I don't know how many accomplished that or how many they said tough s##t we still need ya cuz 50/100 other planes got shot down on the last mission! Not sure how accurate it is but I'm watching "Master Of The Air" now and it's pretty good. I've heard mixed reviews about it but I will finish it and I'm sure it gives somewhat of a feel for it all. The 26 is a different plane for sure but it certainly earned its place in history.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    And one nicknamed "the Prostitute" because its small for size wings are "no visible means of support."
    B-26's in general were called "The Baltimore Whore" because they had no visible means of support.
    The short wings were replaced with longer wings which greatly increased handling and takeoff/landing speeds. However, the increased drag meant that it was a fair amount slower.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12