Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Florida bill to revoke squatters' rights, protect property owners

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Yea, I’ve never understood why the homeowner is on the hook for that kind of fraud. I guess proving the fraud might take some time, but a bank being duped comes under “Not my problem”.
    Sadly, I think that falls under the "Banks own more legislators than We the People do" umbrella.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Yea, I’ve never understood why the homeowner is on the hook for that kind of fraud. I guess proving the fraud might take some time, but a bank being duped comes under “Not my problem”.
    It’s not what you own that counts, but who you own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As a landlord I would be happy if we had more rights when it came to squatters and people that need to be evicted. It takes me 30 days to get a court date and then after winning the judgement I have to then go to the county sheriff and schedule them to come out to serve the eviction (usually another 2-3 weeks). And then on that day I have to be there with 3 able bodied friends to move the contents out and if I fail to show with 3 friends then I have to reschedule the sheriff... It should be, prove that you own said house, show proof that they are squatting and/or not paying and immediately get to remove them. Who cares about their stuff, open up and have the sheriff walk them out. They can take what they can carry and GTFO...lol

But I also understand a lot of crappy landlords put us in the spot we are in but even in Tennessee the tenant has way more rights than they should. I would not own in a liberal state at all!

I will work with my tenants, got one 2 months behind now that can't seem to get caught up. He's running out of time but out of all mine, I've only evicted a few and they got plenty of opportunities to not screw me. The more bad ones I deal with the more I want to fire up the eviction hammer as soon as rent is missed just once with a good story or not... Not there yet but it's close and I'm only 5 years into this...

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMM View Post
    Not there yet but it's close and I'm only 5 years into this...
    Just wait 'till we get another national/statewide emergency and all evictions are on hold. Period.
    Then have some scumbag tenant stop paying rent etc., 'cause they can, right...?' and by law you can not shut off utilities.
    Keep you on the hook for 6 or so months and then they finally depart because yours truly lost his shit and made said tenant 'an offer he could not refuse'.....
    Leaving the place trashed, requiring extensive 'renovation'.
    That'll get you there.

New Rule:
    Month to month only. First & last month and one additional month security deposit up front.
    Weeds out the problems right away.
    5 Days past due you're immediately on your last month, no further discussion.
    I sleep much better now, thank you.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    Back in the 90's Florida had on the books if a person had a hotel/motel license they could evict immediately.
    Like late on the first of the month the sheriff is there on the second.

I knew a guy with many houses that he made mini apartments out of and he did well financially. That was in west palm beach.

I have a few properties in Michigan and have looked into that here with no luck.

As others have said, its who you know/own that matters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As a landlord I would be happy if we had more rights when it came to squatters and people that need to be evicted. It takes me 30 days to get a court date and then after winning the judgement I have to then go to the county sheriff and schedule them to come out to serve the eviction (usually another 2-3 weeks). And then on that day I have to be there with 3 able bodied friends to move the contents out and if I fail to show with 3 friends then I have to reschedule the sheriff... It should be, prove that you own said house, show proof that they are squatting and/or not paying and immediately get to remove them. Who cares about their stuff, open up and have the sheriff walk them out. They can take what they can carry and GTFO...lol

But I also understand a lot of crappy landlords put us in the spot we are in but even in Tennessee the tenant has way more rights than they should. I would not own in a liberal state at all!

I will work with my tenants, got one 2 months behind now that can't seem to get caught up. He's running out of time but out of all mine, I've only evicted a few and they got plenty of opportunities to not screw me. The more bad ones I deal with the more I want to fire up the eviction hammer as soon as rent is missed just once with a good story or not... Not there yet but it's close and I'm only 5 years into this...
    This is precisely why we went the short term rental (VRBO) business with our house. A simple way to help out this housing crisis would simply to give landlords some of their rights back. This lowers the risk for those that want to invest in that business and will attract more investment in it. As it stands there is no way I'm going to spend a dime of my money on long term rentals in my state. I'm lucky I live in a tourist area and can make more renting my house for 100 days a year on short term rentals than I can renting it long term for 12 months of the year. Short term rentals that do not exceed 28 days are treated as hotels in our state.

Personally I'd fire up that eviction hammer sooner. I know that when I was renting in the early 90's I got serious notices at 10 days late and according to their policy the eviction process started at 14 days late.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Just wait 'till we get another national/statewide emergency and all evictions are on hold. Period.
    Then have some scumbag tenant stop paying rent etc., 'cause they can, right...?' and by law you can not shut off utilities.
    Keep you on the hook for 6 or so months and then they finally depart because yours truly lost his shit and made said tenant 'an offer he could not refuse'.....
    Leaving the place trashed, requiring extensive 'renovation'.
    That'll get you there.

New Rule:
    Month to month only. First & last month and one additional month security deposit up front.
    Weeds out the problems right away.
    5 Days past due you're immediately on your last month, no further discussion.
    I sleep much better now, thank you.
    I like your month to month straight out of the gate idea! I don't renew leases, I let them go month to month after the first term and keep it that way. But I may just go ahead and sign a month to month from the get go.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Florida bill to revoke squatters' rights, protect property owners

I like your month to month straight out of the gate idea! I don't renew leases, I let them go month to month after the first term and keep it that way. But I may just go ahead and sign a month to month from the get go.
    How will folks manage to jack up rent every lease term then??? Renters will have a conniption if rent is jacked up every month. Landlord will have a conniption if a tenant doesnt leave. I just left apartment works after 8 years. Would have loved to have consistent rent for 8 years.

I think evicting dead beats needs to be streamlined. If you make an honest effort to work things out and the tenant can’t/wont pay lock their stuff up as collateral for the lost rental revenue and send them packing.

Most landlords want the $$ so they will work with folks to make it happen without the hassles of an eviction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TAZ; 04-01-24 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's an interesting thing considering it isn't unheard of for le to arrest property owners for trespassing on their own property with absolutely no proof of anything.

Here's a recent one where the lady who calls clearly states she does not own the land(where the light that scared her was) nor does she know who does. From what I can tell looking the players up on the tax assessor site(huge "if" on that being correct) the female caller was feeding her horses by traveling across property she does not own, nor knows who the owner is.

That she doesn't know who owns what quickly becomes the deputies claiming the female caller owns the property and despite their claims of doing an investigation can't be bothered to follow the extension cord to the guy's house.

And since that kinda thing doesn't happen without accomplices, dude got convicted for interfering with their operation. Here is one of the ringleaders a few months later.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...re-complaints/
    Last edited by jsbhike; 04-02-24 at 07:40.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Maybe I should start a business called Guido’s Squatter Eviction Service. Hire me a dozen guys with no necks and unibrows where they walk in on the squatters , lock the door behind them and say “now yous can’t leave”. I could make a fortune.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast