Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida bill to revoke squatters' rights, protect property owners

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Remember all those foreclosures during the housing crash? When the owners finally got moved out, sometimes it took more than a year for the bank to get around to even looking at the house and plenty of homeless people moved in usually with some BS story about renting from the owner. All they need is a piece of mail with his name on it and claim they were renting to own in cash.
    Ah, the mail with deadbeats name is a nice touch.

A recording (offsite) video system would allow you better piece of mind and show when the people actually started living there.
    Lights on timers, or maybe even a nest system of lights to give the look of someone living there.
    Having someone to clear off all those fliers people leave on your door. I think some of these are to see who and how fast they get removed for possible targets.
    Have someone else there when the police show up that has a ‘lease’ from you so there are dueling claims.

Wouldn’t want to actually have to shoot people, but considering the castle defense laws- and the damage that someone can do to your house, not to mention the cost of other living arrangements, plus legal- it might end up being cheaper. These people have ZERO interest in keeping the place up, and every fixture and piece of copper will be GONE by the time you get the property back.

Lady on next door was saying that it should be illegal for people to have two houses when there are homeless people.

I understand why we have the adverse property laws, especially around the 7 year mark. It helps to smooth over issues around poor surveying or other issues. But that is more in the realm of no one realized the issue, so no real harm. But these aren’t the same thing. It does seem that these people could be charged with fraud and then destruction of property and at least do time, (ha, ha I know).
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    He's already got a house. I always tapped one of my guys who was living in an apartment or still living at home.
    Ewwwwwhhhhh.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with it.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    Had some idiot throw this in my face during an eviction I was serving. She thought she could just get grandma's house after she died. The house was bought as a foreclosure and she thought she had squaters rights to stay. I told her she could squat in jail after I kicked the door in. She packed her shit and left. I looked up squaters rights in MO and if you can prove you lived there for more than 10 years without a contact, you could stay.
    Yep. That's kinda how I handled it in my jurisdiction in AR.... no lease? GTFO or I'll remove you forcefully. Wanna Squat, go to the bathroom. But not here, because you aint welcome. And I LOVED having to help serve a writ of possession... as in AR.... once it's signed.... everything they own but their toiletries STAYS until a judge decides how much of their shit to give the property owner to pay for rent/bills. LOL. "Can i pack my stuff?".... "funny you should ask"
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think every state has some type of 811 Call Before You Dig number or website. You call, they come out and mark all your utility lines for you. There should be a similar number for registered property owners to call and lock or unlock utility rights. Once your utilities are set up, you lock them in place so someone else can't come along and start or stop service there without you unlocking it. If you transfer those rights to a lessee, that certifies their rights as a tenant and locks you into civil dispute resolution with THAT leaseholder at that address. Everyone else has no rights and can be removed by law enforcement upon the property owner invoking trespass.

My state has something similar at the county level for property deeds/titles. You notify the county that you wish to lock your title and it can't be transferred without you unlocking it. You get the added benefit of being notified anytime a lien is filed on your property. It's a free service that each state needs, to step up and strengthen property rights in light of this explosion in squatting.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    If squatters refuse to leave after being told to do so by the lawful owner it should be legal to shoot them. You get ONE warning/request to vacate, after that the range is hot!
    Agreed. They are trespassers, invaders, who have demonstrated their aggression by entering and refusing to leave. After that, you should have the right to defend your property with any and all force required.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well there's a sidegig for you, Squater Swatter.
    Thinking about the population of Florida and it being a retirement Mecca, I would imagine this hits older folks harder than anyone.
    Have a heart attack and spend three weeks in the Hospital, come home to a Meth Lab in your kitchen.
    Last edited by Averageman; 03-26-24 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    I think every state has some type of 811 Call Before You Dig number or website. You call, they come out and mark all your utility lines for you. There should be a similar number for registered property owners to call and lock or unlock utility rights. Once your utilities are set up, you lock them in place so someone else can't come along and start or stop service there without you unlocking it. If you transfer those rights to a lessee, that certifies their rights as a tenant and locks you into civil dispute resolution with THAT leaseholder at that address. Everyone else has no rights and can be removed by law enforcement upon the property owner invoking trespass.

My state has something similar at the county level for property deeds/titles. You notify the county that you wish to lock your title and it can't be transferred without you unlocking it. You get the added benefit of being notified anytime a lien is filed on your property. It's a free service that each state needs, to step up and strengthen property rights in light of this explosion in squatting.
    I hear those ads for the locking of your title. Is the title route used for the squatters, or is that mainly for people ‘selling’ your house or using it as collateral, not an actual physical taking?

Almost all of us, even in an off-season home, probably have firearms in the house. If you think that I’m leaving the guns in a house with squatters with all kinds of free time to try to breach my safe, you are crazy.

As to squatter swatters, it seems like a good side gig for some sheriff deputies. Hire them off duty to take out the trash. If the squatters call the cops, well, we all know response times can be reallllly long…
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 03-26-24 at 11:22.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I hear those ads for the locking of your title. Is the title route used for the squatters, or is that mainly for people ‘selling’ your house or using it as collateral, not an actual physical taking?

Almost all of us, even in an off-season home, probably have firearms in the house. If you think that I’m leaving the guns in a house with squatters with all kinds of free time to try to breach my safe, you are crazy.

As to squatter swatters, it seems like a good side gig for some sheriff deputies. Hire them off duty to take out the trash. If the squatters call the cops, well, we all know response times can be reallllly long…
    To be clear, the for-profit title lock services are essentially monitoring your title and provide insurance payout if they fail. The true title "lock" is usually a free service by whatever government registrar of deeds or clerk of courts your deed/title is registered with. Usually, the home title scam is used to obtain loans by fraudsters, which you're then on the hook for. (Don't get me started on how it should be the lender, not the title owner who's on the hook for that!)

Some squatters also commit title fraud, but most of the time they're just looking for a free place to crash until they can't anymore, then they find someplace else. Kind of a "homed" homeless population.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    The whole concept of "squatters rights" is absolute bullshit. These worthless criminal pigs have to rights. The term is criminal trespass or breaking and entering. The risk of me having to deal with squatters in beyond exceedingly remote / close to nonexistent; one home in upscale 24 hour guard gated community, the other 27th floor/ 24 hour manned security condo. Both have roving guards 24/7. I also live in Florida, so the alligator, python, & panther infested everglades is a very short drive away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    To be clear, the for-profit title lock services are essentially monitoring your title and provide insurance payout if they fail. The true title "lock" is usually a free service by whatever government registrar of deeds or clerk of courts your deed/title is registered with. Usually, the home title scam is used to obtain loans by fraudsters, which you're then on the hook for. (Don't get me started on how it should be the lender, not the title owner who's on the hook for that!)

Some squatters also commit title fraud, but most of the time they're just looking for a free place to crash until they can't anymore, then they find someplace else. Kind of a "homed" homeless population.
    Yea, I’ve never understood why the homeowner is on the hook for that kind of fraud. I guess proving the fraud might take some time, but a bank being duped comes under “Not my problem”.

It's that simple.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast