Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Contemplating a New Build, Receiver Sets?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Army Marksman team found this out decades ago and actually developed a process to take the slop out of that interference.
    For them, it might be a good thing. For 99.9% of the rest of us??? We're just not competing at Camp Perry. And I don't have a hair dryer since it's not 1977 anymore.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    For them, it might be a good thing. For 99.9% of the rest of us??? We're just not competing at Camp Perry. And I don't have a hair dryer since it's not 1977 anymore.
    You're right. Accuracy is so over rated, lol.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Putting the barrel in the freezer worked for me, just another method for thermal fitting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah a tight interface between the barrel and the upper is just such a pain in the ass to deal with [/sarcasm] Do you guys even own a hair dryer or torch? It's not that hard at all. In fact its pretty freaking easy. And anything that tightens up that interface has an inherent accuracy advantage. Army Marksman team found this out decades ago and actually developed a process to take the slop out of that interference.
    WOW and you didn't even link to the Joe Carlos article / video?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah a tight interface between the barrel and the upper is just such a pain in the ass to deal with [/sarcasm] Do you guys even own a hair dryer or torch? It's not that hard at all. In fact its pretty freaking easy. And anything that tightens up that interface has an inherent accuracy advantage. Army Marksman team found this out decades ago and actually developed a process to take the slop out of that interference.
    Again this is the third thermal fit BCM upper I’ve had. The first one went together fine. Of the second two I ordered one was fine and the second one fit extremely tight. It got the torch and the barrel got the deep freeze and it was still a fight. My experience between those three and my other Colt and LMT uppers with govt carbine barrels is there isn’t one that shoots significantly better than the other. So to me not really worth it.

Not picking on BCM here so you don’t have to let your emotional investment get defensive. I use a lot of BCM parts I just won’t use their uppers anymore. Not a big deal.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    WOW and you didn't even link to the Joe Carlos article / video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJL-IscH_jo

I felt dirty leaving it out and immediately regretted it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Again this is the third thermal fit BCM upper I’ve had. The first one went together fine. Of the second two I ordered one was fine and the second one fit extremely tight. It got the torch and the barrel got the deep freeze and it was still a fight. My experience between those three and my other Colt and LMT uppers with govt carbine barrels is there isn’t one that shoots significantly better than the other. So to me not really worth it.

Not picking on BCM here so you don’t have to let your emotional investment get defensive. I use a lot of BCM parts I just won’t use their uppers anymore. Not a big deal.
    Settle down, Francis. Thermal fit or not is your call. I personally don't care if you like or hate what I use or my reasons for using it. However, I prefer using thermal fit uppers because my experience has been the opposite of yours. I had an FN barrel years ago that couldn't group to save its life. When I took the upper apart the fitment to receiver was rather sloppy. Put it in an upper with a tighter tolerance and it the groups tightened up. I have seen this with other barrels since then as well.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345