Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a New Build, Receiver Sets?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a san tan ambi lower paired with an MUR1a upper. I like it just fine. The combination fits a little too tight even. I have to tap out the rear takedown pin with a punch or a bullet tip to separate them. Probably wouldn't happen if you're looking at receiver sets rather than mix and match like mine.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Zev makes forged receivers that are always very precise and tight fitting. They also supply SOLGW and Noveske N4, as well as a few others I’ve forgotten about. If I’m building a precision rifle Zev is my go to.

Nodak Spud were my go to for military style clones, as their lowers had minimal roll marks and fit tight to most Colt uppers I have tried with them. They recently became Harrington & Richardson sold through Palmetto State Armory, so I’m not sure if the tolerances are the same as before or not.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Nodak Spud were my go to for military style clones, as their lowers had minimal roll marks and fit tight to most Colt uppers I have tried with them. They recently became Harrington & Richardson sold through Palmetto State Armory, so I’m not sure if the tolerances are the same as before or not.
    The Harrington lowers appear to come in a gray finish, I guess for retro builds. The guy who brought his out last weekend had painted it black to match his build.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChileRelleno View Post
    I'm contemplating a new build and would like to know what y'alls think about various receiver set manufacturers.

BCM,
    Zev,
    Lantac, N15 Raven
    San Tan, STT 15
    Centurion Arms, CM4
    Seekins Precision, SP223
    Anything on your list is better than Centurion Arms, don't buy theirs. I bought 4, all 4 had out of spec issues.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The Harrington lowers appear to come in a gray finish, I guess for retro builds. The guy who brought his out last weekend had painted it black to match his build.
    The color doesn’t bother me, I’m more concerned with the machine tolerances.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    The color doesn’t bother me, I’m more concerned with the machine tolerances.
    Gotcha. Not sure they make sets or what the tolerances are. I just got a quick look at the lower and was pleased with the markings.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    Anything on your list is better than Centurion Arms, don't buy theirs. I bought 4, all 4 had out of spec issues.
    Lowers, uppers, forged, billet?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Lowers, all 4 out of spec

1. Bolt catch detent hole not milled properly thus the catch rose just high enough to barely catch the bolt. After much back and forth with Montys wife and pix, they finally agreed. I returned lower had to pay shipping and a FFL transfer fee.

2. Pivot pin hole out of spec. Spring and detent hole out of spec causing the pin to sit way crooked when closed. I have seen other complaints on this on forums.

3. Pivot pin hole out of spec, was told both times it was "just cosmetic" and they were out of lowers to swap it.

4. New lower just bought. Holes out of spec. Firing and trigger pin holes was so huge I initially thought that was what I was seeing at the gun store but thought surely not. Sure enough, .162 pin gauge goes in both. .255, .256 pins go in on pivot and takedown pin holes. They did get the safety selector hole correct.
    Last edited by the AR-15 Junkie; 03-27-24 at 20:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    American mediocrity strikes again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast