Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone actually using see-through red dot optic lens covers?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Anyone actually using see-through red dot optic lens covers?

Anyone actually using see-through red dot optic lens covers? I'm talking about the ones that come with Aimpoint T2's (and similar) that are see-through. Whats the point if the optic is supposed to be bomb proof? Sacrifical layer? Keep it clean?

Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I was sitting there looking at it and realized I'm giving up a tiny piece of vision and could not really find a reason why...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Those things are kind of dumb for the exact reason you mentioned.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yea, I use them as a sacrificial layer of protection. Also, if the optic ends up covered in mud, it’s a lot quicker and easier to flip open the cover than wipe off the debris.

Feedback Score
    Like grizzman said. Keeps dirt and debris and water off the lenses.
    For me optimal is a clear rear lens cover with a solid front cover.
    Usable as is, if really dirty you can flip the rear up and still use the optic.
    Last edited by fedupflyer; 03-27-24 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I run a solid black front and clear rear. They help keep rain, mud, etc. out of the FOV. Solid black front keeps me target focused, lower brightness on the dot, and never washes out with a WML.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have both black ones on my Comp M3 because it came with them. They drive me nuts because I'm always worried about breaking them off, but the temporary rain/dirt protection is nice.

As far as see thru ones. Occluded or unclear dot sights drive me nuts. It's just a personal thing. When I was young I couldn't stand a single fleck of dust on my sunglasses. This is the same reason I hate RMRs with a passion. Like trying to see a the target through a green coke bottle.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Some of the Halosun AEMS red dot's have pretty good glass Lenscovers that flip up. Far better than the Aimpoint clear covers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Send it... View Post
    Some of the Halosun AEMS red dot's have pretty good glass Lenscovers that flip up. Far better than the Aimpoint clear covers.
    That's kind of sad. For Aimpoints ridiculous prices, they shouldn't be getting beat by holo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All of my rifle Holosuns have the clear covers, front and rear. Have tried them in every configuration you can think of, and have come to the conclusion that I'm keeping them closed. The amount of clarity I give up is minuscule, and the added protection from damage and dirt is very much worth it. It actually feels weird when I'm shooting a buddy's rifle that doesn't have them, as I feel like the lenses are unprotected.

Somewhat oddly, I don't feel the same way about my pistol optics. Though I do prefer enclosed pistol RDS... For the same reasons. It's just another layer of protection with a truly almost imperceptible penalty in clarity.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Mine stayed closes in the safe or walking afield in rain. Other than that open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast