Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: To Glock or Not to Glock

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    If I bring the gun up & there is no dot or optic comes loose I would like back up irons.
    BUIS != suppressor height sights. In fact, many argue against suppressor height sights, as they tend to obscure too much of the window, and argue instead for the lowest height irons that can still be cowitnessed.

There is also the fact that you can have a decent amount of accuracy using a slide index or the optic window simply as a big ghost ring. You won't be punching out the X-ring at 25 with such techniques, but IPSC A-zone hits out to 5 yards should be pretty trivial if you have a strong index.

As for the Glock question, I'm not a Glock shooter; I'm at this point pot committed to my P30LSes. I've shot maybe 100 rounds of live ammo through a Glock; most of my experiences have been with a G17T. If I were starting over at this point, I would absolutely get a Gen5 G45. The logistical support is simply unmatched, and drives my decision. While there are plenty of other polymer handguns that have slight advantages over the Glock in a vacuum, the parts availability, holster options, and possibility for modification easily trump any of the minor detriments the Glock might have.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I've considered moving over to the M&P for a striker fired gun. Mainly because they have a decent factory thumb safety, which unfortunately, Glock does not. If Glock did, then I would accept Glock as the best all around option *for me*. Even though I prefer TDA guns.

Currently I have a SCD and NY1 tirgger on my Gen 5 G17. I could live without the NY1, but the SCD is a must. With the S&W, this (holstering and blocking striker/trigger movement) is taken care of by the thumb safety.
    No thumb safety is a good thing. Draw the gun and shoot, no need to fumble around with a thumb safety.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    BUIS != suppressor height sights. In fact, many argue against suppressor height sights, as they tend to obscure too much of the window, and argue instead for the lowest height irons that can still be cowitnessed.

There is also the fact that you can have a decent amount of accuracy using a slide index or the optic window simply as a big ghost ring. You won't be punching out the X-ring at 25 with such techniques, but IPSC A-zone hits out to 5 yards should be pretty trivial if you have a strong index.

As for the Glock question, I'm not a Glock shooter; I'm at this point pot committed to my P30LSes. I've shot maybe 100 rounds of live ammo through a Glock; most of my experiences have been with a G17T. If I were starting over at this point, I would absolutely get a Gen5 G45. The logistical support is simply unmatched, and drives my decision. While there are plenty of other polymer handguns that have slight advantages over the Glock in a vacuum, the parts availability, holster options, and possibility for modification easily trump any of the minor detriments the Glock might have.
    I've learned that with an aftermarket cut one can still use the factory sights with some optics. Would like verification, though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    No thumb safety is a good thing. Draw the gun and shoot, no need to fumble around with a thumb safety.
    No thanks.

I like DA or a thumb safety for extra precaution during holstering. Accepting a striker fired SA gun for carry is something I got away from for about 10 years but I am again because of reasons. A well-placed / functioning thumb safety isn't an issue, I've come to realize.

I may have a PX4 or two to sell soon.

Feedback Score
    I've learned that with an aftermarket cut one can still use the factory sights with some optics. Would like verification, though.
    This is true for aeti cut and rmr, and sro on glocks system. Its not clear but a zone @25 is no issue.

If I bring the gun up & there is no dot or optic comes loose I would like back up irons.
    They are there, see above
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-25-24 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You know you want to.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No thanks.

I like DA or a thumb safety for extra precaution during holstering. Accepting a striker fired SA gun for carry is something I got away from for about 10 years but I am again because of reasons. A well-placed / functioning thumb safety isn't an issue, I've come to realize.

I may have a PX4 or two to sell soon.
    I used to think the same way until I actually looked into the internals of a Glock and how they operate, they're not SA like other striker fired guns. With the internal safeties and the trigger safety it's very unlikely to have a discharge while reholstering. But I understand where you're coming from.
    Last edited by kirkland; 04-28-24 at 08:44.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345