Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To Glock or Not to Glock

Feedback Score
    Have had multiple pistols, HK Glock, M&P, Walther, FN, Springfield etc. Only none-glock I kept was the walther PDP, if Glock is a Toyota, the Walther is a Lexus. Glocks are, to say the least, ubiquitous AF. Everyone and their mother pretty much owns a Glock ___. Walthers, FN, etc great guns, never had an issue; but if all hell breaks I'm carrying a Glock model __, fill-in 19, 17, 45, 19X 43, 48, whatever 9mm flavor you select. They just work. Period.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the “unlimited” aftermarket is actually a mark against the Glock in some ways. It encourages far too many to chase a phantom mechanical advantage rather than training.

And I’m not a fan of there being dozens of different trigger “upgrades” that are just not appropriate for a carry pistol without a manual safety.

That said, a stock Gen5 is very solid choice for a duty sized pistol.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I think the “unlimited” aftermarket is a mark against the Glock in some ways. It encourages far too many to chase a phantom mechanical advantage rather than training.

And I’m not a fan of there being dozens of different trigger “upgrades” that are just not appropriate for a carry pistol without a manual safety.

That said, a stock Gen5 is very solid choice for a duty-sized pistol.
    I'm no fan boy but I do love my Gen5 19X. Go to Aimsurplus buy a police trade in G45 (Black 19X), put some better sights on it and call it a day.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I understand that Glocks are not for everyone, so go to your LGS and get a feel for the various models to see which one works for you.
    I have other guns and I like them all, but if shtf, I’ll take one of my Glocks.

Feedback Score
    I dont get how a competent shooter cant shoot a glock (outside of extreme fitment issues for the rare small or massive-handed person).

Ive never heard a glock shooter say "i just cant shoot xxx"

They are the easy-button, accurate, reliable, and parts amd support (holsters, mags, etc) are cheap and easy to get.

If I didnt use glock, id go cz, walther, or hk in that order. M&P 2.0 would probably be #1 but my 1.0 experience soured me on them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I dont get how a competent shooter cant shoot a glock (outside of extreme fitment issues for the rare small or massive-handed person).

Ive never heard a glock shooter say "i just cant shoot xxx"

They are the easy-button, accurate, reliable, and parts amd support (holsters, mags, etc) are cheap and easy to get.

If I didn't use Glock, I'd go CZ, Walther, or HK in that order. M&P 2.0 would probably be #1 but my 1.0 experience soured me on them.

I rather agree. If you cannot shoot a Glock with any decent accuracy, then you are not trying. For me, I find them as easy to shoot as any other pistols that I own and have owned.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a S&W M&P 1.0 which I got when it first came out. I remember that it was touted as the replacement for the Glock. Well, I had issues with mine which needed a replacement barrel (replaced under warranty), but even with Apex components I didn't like shooting it any better than the Glock. I have a bunch of other handguns, but I shoot my Glocks most often. However, I'd say that I don't even shoot 'Glocks' anymore. P80 frames have replaced a lot of my Glock frames as they have features I wish Glock had from the beginning, so my most used handguns aren't even Glocks anymore - I think the slides are the only actual OEM Glock parts left.
    I don't have big hands, so I'm a fan of the G17 slide on G19 frame concept. I just chopped my G17 P80 frames to G19 length. As others have mentioned, there are Glocks and other brands based off that design.
    In the pic below, I have a G17 sized P80 frame chopped to G19 length. The comp prevents the lens of the X300 light from getting carbon'd up, and doesn't add any additional overall length.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    If ever the question is; “should I Glock?”

The answer will always be; Yes, you should Glock.

In all seriousness, if you’re engaged to a current “platform” you know it well, you’re proficient with it, and most importantly you trust it….why not go with the 2.0? They’re good guns with some solid improvements.

Aftermarket being what it is, you could get a 2.0, 5-10 mags, and roll with it.

Changing to a whole new “platform” is gonna cost you just as much, if not more when you consider the training you’ll need to put in to it, as well as all the support gear.

If I had a Time Machine…….my dumb ass would’ve never spent 10k+ in custom 1911s, untold number of paychecks to Sig P series, HK P7 series, HK USP series……I would have invested in 3 Glock 17’s, 100 magazines, and about 50k rounds of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
    I have a question for you guys...

I have a S&W M&P 9 that I like quite a bit. It has somewhere between 7 to 9k rounds through it. Front night site, 5 mags, and a holster plus a single mag carrier. So I'm not terribly invested into.

I've always suspected [read really want to be true so I can blame my misses] that's its one of the guns with a loose barrel and probably isn't that accurate so I want to have an Apex barrel fitted. Along with that an Apex trigger I also want to mill out the slide and put an RDS on it. Add a TLR 1 for good measure.

Now here is the rub. It's been discontinued by SW being replaced by the 2.0. Mags are closing in on 50$ a pop. Aftermarket support is okay but nothing stellar.

If I could go back in time I would have a bought a G19. Cheap mags and basically unlimited aftermarket. I'm thinking about going down that road instead of sinking more money into my smith.

I'd like a G19 frame with a G17 slide/barrel. The way I see it I could do this a couple different ways, a shadow systems MR920L or buy a LEO trade in 17 and chop the frame. I'd keep my smith as a spare and or give it to one of my kids.

What do you guys think? Stick with the smith or join the dark side?

Feedback Score
    I've considered moving over to the M&P for a striker fired gun. Mainly because they have a decent factory thumb safety, which unfortunately, Glock does not. If Glock did, then I would accept Glock as the best all around option *for me*. Even though I prefer TDA guns.

Currently I have a SCD and NY1 tirgger on my Gen 5 G17. I could live without the NY1, but the SCD is a must. With the S&W, this (holstering and blocking striker/trigger movement) is taken care of by the thumb safety.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I love my Glocks. The 19 has always been a favorite but lately the 19x and G45 have been my go to Glocks. That said, I no longer carry professionally and I went with the M&P Shield Plus. Zero regrets.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast