Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zev wedge lock rail

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    I have an FN branded version on an FN Tac II and it is easily one of my favorite rails. It’s solid as a rock and maintains a perfect balance of beefiness while still being slim enough for a perfect grip, for me at least.
    I just checked out the FN website. That Tac3 complete upper looks super cool. If I was going to buy a complete upper, that would definitely be at the top of the list.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by e z money View Post
    Some companies advertise the rail weight with the nut weight included and some advertise the weight of just the rail, maybe that has something to do with it. Also just to mention the Zev rail looks almost identical to the SOLGW M76 rail, so much that it looks like the same manufacturer source, or someone just blatantly copied the other one.
    Zev makes all the wedgelocks for all the other brands like Hodge, SOLGW, Mega, Triarc, Expo ect as well as all the S-lock/Drive locks and Pinchlocks. And they all have different variations in the design like QD cups, all around Mlok slots, no top rail ect. Ti barrel nuts are on the premium versions like the Hodge Wedge which is also in 7075 or the SOLGW M76 LT version but really the weight difference is negligible like 1.5oz or something tiny really not worth it unless you are doing some ultra light build.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Zev makes all the wedgelocks for all the other brands like Hodge, SOLGW, Mega, Triarc, Expo ect as well as all the S-lock/Drive locks and Pinchlocks. And they all have different variations in the design like QD cups, all around Mlok slots, no top rail ect. Ti barrel nuts are on the premium versions like the Hodge Wedge which is also in 7075 or the SOLGW M76 LT version but really the weight difference is negligible like 1.5oz or something tiny really not worth it unless you are doing some ultra light build.
    Just fyi, Zev doesn’t make the drive lock handguards, Icon Defense/Killer Innovations does.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    Just fyi, Zev doesn’t make the drive lock handguards, Icon Defense/Killer Innovations does.
    Guess that explains the barrel nut difference between S-lock and Drive and lack of backwards compatibility. Do you know if Killer Innovations is related to Zev in someway like some engineers broke off and started their own company because their Glock slide aesthetics are really similar.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Guess that explains the barrel nut difference between S-lock and Drive and lack of backwards compatibility. Do you know if Killer Innovations is related to Zev in someway like some engineers broke off and started their own company because their Glock slide aesthetics are really similar.
    Icon Defense was formed by Rick Olsen, founder of Killer Innovations, and Mike Miller who founded Mega Arms. It's similar to the wedge/pinch/spine lock designs, but like on steroids, not surprising as it bears the Hodge clover leaf logo next to the m-lok logo.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    Icon Defense was formed by Rick Olsen, founder of Killer Innovations, and Mike Miller who founded Mega Arms. It's similar to the wedge/pinch/spine lock designs, but like on steroids, not surprising as it bears the Hodge clover leaf logo next to the m-lok logo.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f9cf3a42_b.jpg
    Thanks for the info, I only heard about Icon last year and was pretty impressed with the quality of their stuff even though their product line is incredibly limited. Damn shame the Drive isnt backwards compatible with the Wedge/Spine/Pinch Lock barrel nut, I hope it was done purely for engineering purposes and not some patent work around or personal issues between the design teams. I wanted to pick one up to try but I swap rails and try different configurations often enough that it would be a pain to have the one odd man out rail in the stable.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So in looking at this setup, what is the solution for "most" uppers without a hole above the gas tube entrance for the anti-rotation pin?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    So in looking at this setup, what is the solution for "most" uppers without a hole above the gas tube entrance for the anti-rotation pin?
    Two options
    1. Use without the pin and rely on the set screws
    2. Drill a hole for the pin. I would 100% **** that up so it would require a someone with that skill or a smith.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    Two options
    1. Use without the pin and rely on the set screws
    2. Drill a hole for the pin. I would 100% **** that up so it would require a someone with that skill or a smith.
    As I suspected, so I would personally pass.

I've built a lot of AR's and having a rail that requires that hole, to prevent rotation, is a non starter in my book. Lot of better, non proprietary solutions available elsewhere for anti rotation.

I'm not drilling holes in my uppers either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    The solution in this situation, if you don't have a hole in the upper receiver, is to use a rail that doesn't use a pin for anti-rotation. When I started this thread I was talking about a receiver and a rail both designed to use a pin. I don't think I would recommend for someone to drill holes in a receiver where there is none. I mentioned "minor" modification earlier, I meant something like using emory cloth on the pin if it's a little tight. If someone has a receiver with no hole in it, just get a rail with anti-rotation tabs. I wouldn't say one way is better than the other, a steel pin or aluminum tabs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast