Thread: Surefire Muzzle Devices and Labyrinth Seals

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Surefire Muzzle Devices and Labyrinth Seals

I’m a newb to suppressors. I currently have a SOCOM Mini 2 5.56 which I use on an 18” Douglas Barrel.

The muzzle device is the SF muzzle brake with the labyrinth seals. One thing I’ve noticed is that there is a lot of carbon build up at the flared end of the brake that is past the seals. I’ve had my can stuck a couple times within maybe 100ish rounds. I’ve also noticed carbon deposits on the front of the rail and rear of the can. Yes, it is on correctly, as tight as I can possibly make it, and a check is done before shooting to ensure it is properly engaged.

I know I can take the can off when it’s still hot and that minimizes the sticking issues, but I’m also a creature of habit; once it’s on there, it’s on there (this can is dedicated to this rifle).

My question: are the labyrinth seals really all that important and do they really accomplish anything?

I need to purchase a few more muzzle devices and have the choices set to either the SF CTN or SF3P.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I assume the seals are an improvement over no seal. I know I tried a regular Socom RC on a warcomp a few times and hated it. I've gone from using a brake to using a 3 prong. Now that there's an A2 birdcage style option, I'll be trying one of those as well.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 04-16-24 at 11:53. Reason: Spelling and added info.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I got a couple of the A2 ones. They have one labyrinth seal on them and set the suppressor back farther on the barrel than the other mounts.

Feedback Score
    I use the 3p and brake and havent had any real issues. The trick seems to be get it 1 more click tighter once warm. Doing that, ive gone multiple range sessions, pushing 1k rounds and it didnt stick too much.

Also, loosening the collar, smack the muzzle, the it pulls right off. It breaks any carbon sticking it... IME.

My Keymo sticks worse than the SF stuff.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-17-24 at 20:31.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the answers.

Mega, I didn’t know about the extra click after getting it warm. I’ll give that a try next range trip!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the answers.

Mega, I didn’t know about the extra click after getting it warm. I’ll give that a try next range trip!
    I always check tightness after a couple shots and I too find it often goes a click tighter. I never really have carbon lock problems.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Honestly, I never thought to do that. I use the ugga dugga method combined with the German goodundtight.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I always check tightness after a couple shots and I too find it often goes a click tighter. I never really have carbon lock problems.