Thread: 5.7 x 28 options

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

5.7 x 28 options

Lately I have been burning down my Colt .38 super getting ready for the up coming Woodland Brutality match in WV. I'm doing a lot of shooting with the .22 top end and the 9mm drop barrel for cheaper ammo more plentiful ammo. But I've been thinking about the increasingly popular 5.7 round. That, and red dots on pistols. I have noticed fellow competitors using the 5.7 round and seems to do just what it needs to do, absent any sort of caliber limitations, it knocks down steel and shoots accurately. As long as the scoring isn't different... why not? In the case of the kind of 2 gun matches I prefer it's light bullet and small caliber doesn't make a difference. The worst thing about it is the cost.

Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you can afford to shoot it, can wrap your hand around it, and it meets competitive requirements, it’d be stellar for matches, particularly with a dot.

The grips are bothersome to me like G22.3 grips are to 1911 guys. Which is to say, I should just shoot them more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, the ammo expense is the issue. Not so much for matches as handgun stages are usually few and low round count. It's the training where I would feel it most. On the plus side there are often longer distance pistol shots, some out to 50-60 yards. A red dot equipped 5.7 would ring the steel just as well as a 9mm/.38 super.

My largish hands don't mind the longer grip of the current 5.7 pistols. Currently I favor the S&W 5.7 pistol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, the ammo expense is the issue. Not so much for matches as handgun stages are usually few and low round count. It's the training where I would feel it most. On the plus side there are often longer distance pistol shots, some out to 50-60 yards. A red dot equipped 5.7 would ring the steel just as well as a 9mm/.38 super.

My largish hands don't mind the longer grip of the current 5.7 pistols. Currently I favor the S&W 5.7 pistol.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I think Smith or Ruger makes a .22WMR version of their 5.7 pistol. You could use that for a portion of practice, and it’d be a cool companion gun.

I must ask, how often does this match recur if you’re considering buying a gun specifically for it? No judgement; there are sillier reasons to buy a handgun or three. I’ve been acquiring the gun and parts for a USPSA Open Major G32 just for laughs, and it’s not like I’m going to shoot that division often.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I think Smith or Ruger makes a .22WMR version of their 5.7 pistol. You could use that for a portion of practice, and it’d be a cool companion gun.

I must ask, how often does this match recur if you’re considering buying a gun specifically for it? No judgement; there are sillier reasons to buy a handgun or three. I’ve been acquiring the gun and parts for a USPSA Open Major G32 just for laughs, and it’s not like I’m going to shoot that division often.
    I would use it for all of my 2 gun matches. With IDPA, which I shoot infrequently, I would stay with 9mm.

12 years ago I bought my Colt .38 super as a fun range toy, just because I always wanted one, now it's my go to for everything...