Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: regularly removing scope from pic rail - pic rail damage ???

Feedback Score

regularly removing scope from pic rail - pic rail damage ???

I have an LMT AR with a nightforce optic, I will be getting an another AR which will most of the time will have a red dot. However on some occasions, my plan is to swap out the nightforce optic and put it on my second AR. Would the continued taking off and replacing the night force optic damage the LMT pic rails over time?
    The night force optic is on a night force XTRM - Unimount

Feedback Score
    So you plan to swap out optics between two AR's over and over again? I guess I would question as to why you would do that? With that everything will wear with use, but I doubt you will do any significant damage/wear mounting and unmounting optics on occasion.

Feedback Score
    You will have different barrels so your dope for each will be unique for each.

So, you need to grind out the numbers for each barrel with that scope..........and reconfirm when replacing the scope.....each time.

for me...the juice isn't worth the squeze.

YMMV
    SHOOT MORE -POST LESS!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    No. You won't damage the rail if you're not doing anything ridiculous. The finish wear may accelerate, but If it were me, I wouldn't care about that.

If I were going back and forth, I'd prefer to leave it on one gun for a while due to the reasons mentioned above.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Why would you do that? What’s the purpose?
    Perhaps you do that a couple of times to decide which of the two ARs is better suited for long range shooting and which one is for shorter ranges and home defense. But at some point, you would set them up for a specific purpose.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 202 View Post
    Why would you do that? What’s the purpose?
    There was an instructor, maybe with Magpul's training thing they had going. Todd something?.. a real good long range shooting instructor. He made the point that if you had limited funds for Glass, it was better to move 1 good scope, than say 2 Vortex scopes for example.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I do that quite often. Why? I have other bills to pay, and I still owe people money.

Wear and tear are there but minimal. There are a few practical issues to overcome.

I use scopes with exposed turrets exclusively for this purpose. I zero the turrets for one rifle and will keep the zeroing unchanged ever, even when the scope is moved to other rifles. I have a new dope table printed out and taped to backside of the eyepiece cap. That table is based on the indicated w/e figures of the scope. It may look like this

W +3
    100yd 4.00
    200yd 6.25
    300yd 9.50

For the new rifle, windage set to +3 moa for no wind. Elevation set to +4 moa for 100yd etc.

To minimize error, I torque the mount screws to the rail with torque driver. Still I test fire a couple shots to verify dope, and make adjustments to the table if needed.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tangolima; 04-04-24 at 14:31.

Feedback Score
    Nightforce, Badger, Geissele, mounts, no worries.
    Edit to add Reptilia, maybe Scalarworks if Marks replacement holds together.
    Last edited by Uncas47; 04-04-24 at 14:35.
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    maybe Scalarworks if Marks replacement holds together.
    Mine? My failed mount's weakness was specific to the old 30mm RDS hinge they had. I don't think any of their other products shared that flaw.

Feedback Score
    You'll lose your zero, son!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast