Thread: Need help with AR15 optic purchase

Feedback Score

Need help with AR15 optic purchase

I just picked up a PWS MK114 Mod2 and need an optic for it. I usually put Mepro M21's or ACOG's on my rifles, but I'd like to try a variable magnification optic this time. A VCOG is an option, but they're significantly more expensive than the rifle. The options seem endless, and I can't compare them in person. I do know that I want a scope that's 1-6X or 1-8X in magnification, has clear glass and has a FFP reticle so that the reticle increases or decreases in size as I adjust the magnification. Then there's the issue of the mount. Again, the options seem pretty endless. I'm thinking about $1,000 with the scope and mount but am open to more or less. Please help an optically ignorant guy outfit his rifle.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I'm thinking about $1,000 with the scope and mount but am open to more or less. Please help an optically ignorant guy outfit his rifle.
    In my opinion, either go REALLY good (Nightforce Nx8), or just grab one of the Sig variable power scopes for pretty cheap. Mid range price glass is so unsatisfying.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I do know that I want a scope that's 1-6X or 1-8X in magnification, has clear glass and has a FFP reticle so that the reticle increases or decreases in size as I adjust the magnification. Then there's the issue of the mount. Again, the options seem pretty endless. I'm thinking about $1,000 with the scope and mount but am open to more or less. Please help an optically ignorant guy outfit his rifle.

PLXC 1-8x is probably the current favorite, if you have to go cheap the Vortex Viper 1-6x
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not made in China FFP scopes are going to be in the $1500 and up range.

Arken has a FFP 1-8, $375 with the 25% code.

Just mounted a Warne Xskel mount.
    Good mount in the $150 range.
    I use NF mounts with NF scopes.

Feedback Score
    It's not well known, but I suggest checking out the SAI Optics 1-6x23. It's the same people responsible for Tangent Theta scopes and imported by the people who handle Elcan. Great optic at a desirable price point. It's a little more than what you were looking to spend, but you're so close to this price level that it's worth considering. They have a few different reticle options, too.

https://www.eurooptic.com/SAI-Optics.aspx

Alternatively, if you really want to stick under budget, the Japanese-made Brownells MPO 1-8x24 line is criminally underrated. You get good Japanese glass and mechanics, mount included, and a decent SFP reticle for $550 right now. Or skip their mount and use the savings to invest in a better one.

https://www.brownells.com/optics/sco...?sku=080001394
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 04-19-24 at 09:20.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I was caught up with FFP vs SFP but a reticle that’s actually useful for the intended application turned out to be more of a factor for me. I currently have the Primary Arms PLXc Griffin Mil reticle on my Mk114. It replaced a Nightforce NX8 FC-Mil. In retrospect, the nuclear bright NX8 is a better fit for my usage. If the capped NX8 with FC-DMx was available back when I got mine, I would’ve stuck with the Nightforce.

IMG_9496.jpeg

For under $1k with mount, I’m hard pressed to think of a decent FFP LPVO. Even for $1500-$2k, the FFP LPVOs are significantly compromised. For the under $1k price range, I think SFP is where it’s at.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Save a couple hundred more, or if you mil/le get the discount.

I’ll say this; the glass on the vortex scopes is amazing. I’m a Nightforce fanboy so those are the only scopes I own anymore, but I’ll give glass clarity, eyebox, and FOV to the vortex all day.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Raz...RZR-16008.aspx

I just picked up a PWS MK114 Mod2 and need an optic for it. I usually put Mepro M21's or ACOG's on my rifles, but I'd like to try a variable magnification optic this time. A VCOG is an option, but they're significantly more expensive than the rifle. The options seem endless, and I can't compare them in person. I do know that I want a scope that's 1-6X or 1-8X in magnification, has clear glass and has a FFP reticle so that the reticle increases or decreases in size as I adjust the magnification. Then there's the issue of the mount. Again, the options seem pretty endless. I'm thinking about $1,000 with the scope and mount but am open to more or less. Please help an optically ignorant guy outfit his rifle.

Feedback Score
    I have tried both ffp and SFP lpvos, and concluded that SFP works better. Actually without proper reticle, FFP is mostly worthless, lpvo or not.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tangolima; 04-21-24 at 12:03.

Feedback Score

I would say nxs 1-8 or razor 1-6 in an attila mount.

But before you buy, do you own or will you buy night vision?

Edit: my lpvo is an old 1-4 sfp, its not bad if you know how to use it - just takes more thinking (not good). The reticle is fantastic though for what it is.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-21-24 at 21:37.

Feedback Score
    Lots of great information here guys. I appreciate it very much. I do not own night vision and am not planning on using it with this rifle.