Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith Enterprise Vortex FH

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great FH, I have them on match barrels with no loss. Clean threads and hand tight with just a little wrench.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    No washer no worries, it's not going to self tighten enough to cause muzzle distortion, it's also a very good flash suppressor.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by e z money View Post
    I've made a decision to stop using a FH that has to be timed. I don't use a can and have always just put an A2 bird cage on my rifles. I got a Smith Enterprise Vortex. They recommend to not use any kind of washer or shim. I read a post somewhere, a guy said he uses a crush washer with them, just his personal preference. Anyone use these FH? How do you recommend installation? Should I use rocksett? Good or bad experiences with these FH?
    After spending substantial dollars over time, many of us learn that so much of these "boutique" and "better than mil-spec" parts and associated advice regarding these "upgrades" have one purpose; to generate revenue. Congratulations and hope all goes well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    After spending substantial dollars over time, many of us learn that so much of these "boutique" and "better than mil-spec" parts and associated advice regarding these "upgrades" have one purpose; to generate revenue. Congratulations and hope all goes well.
    Are you saying a Smith Enterprise FH is some kind of "boutique" upgrade? Do you think it's not a good flash hider?

Feedback Score
    If your goal is reduced muzzle flash without a can, Smiths is a solid choice. That said I use A2s.
    Last edited by Uncas47; 04-19-24 at 09:36.
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by e z money View Post
    Are you saying a Smith Enterprise FH is some kind of "boutique" upgrade? Do you think it's not a good flash hider?
    Well, I own one and haven't had an issue from it in ten years.
    Yes it is a boutique upgrade.

Feedback Score
    I have to echo the posts that the Smith Vortex is an effective flash hider. I was involved in testing it when my agency selected it to complement new night vision systems being fielded. I was impressed by it enough that I put one in my luggage to install on my M4 when working as a security contractor in Iraq in '04. At night you generally fire at muzzle flashes and reducing your signature to the level that a Vortex does is a huge tactical advantage. I've gotten older but still have one attached to the 11.5" AR-15 I keep in the house to protect my family.
    I am aware of a handful of failures which mostly resulted in one of the 3 flash hider tines breaking off when the carbine / rifle was dropped onto concrete. The A2 flash hider would probably shrug off this type of damage but offers nowhere the degree of flash suppression. So it's your call, but in my mind it's nowhere close to what can be termed a boutique type of upgrade.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It is an exceedingly effective muzzle device. If I already had A2 FS on everything, I might change one or two out for a Vortex. If I had nothing on the barrel yet, I would certainly consider it a worthwhile option if killing flash was on my mind.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    No washer no worries, it's not going to self tighten enough to cause muzzle distortion, it's also a very good flash suppressor.
    It'll twist the rifle out of your hands!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12