Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help in Selection

Feedback Score
    To the OP.

I have been carrying just north of the Fl border for almost three years. I have found that larger guns require me to dress around the gun, especially in the summer. Printing through light weigh clothing is an issue as well as just covering the weapon. Baggy helps, but some clothing has some "memory" and getting out of a car in hot humid weather can leave a pretty recognizable impression in a cotton shirt.

I have a Glock 19 that is pretty easy to CC year round. This winter has sucked, and been pretty warm around here. I really hot weather I down size to a .380 or my Glock 26. I'm adding a S&W J frame airweight to the concealed carry battery.

Up north a 1911 sized pistol should not be a problem in the winter. but a mid-size or small framed weapon may be preferable.

Also consider carry methods. My prefered place to CC is inside the waistband at the 4 o'clock position right behind my hip. With a small pistol pocket carry in a jacket is a good option, or in a front pocket of baggy pants/shorts.

I'll add that if you have the option let your significant other find a pistol she likes, and is comfortable shooting.

If your just down the road in Jax then the guys at Gun Gallery should be able to help you out. They have a pretty good selection of rental guns in most size ranges and platforms, to be able to make an informed choice before you lay down good money on a pistol that just won't work for your needs.
    SSGN- my new home under water. Capable of delivering150 Tomahawk missles, 90 Spec-ops operators and most importantly, I get to have a real medical space...with a door and everything!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    To the OP.

I have been carrying just north of the Fl border for almost three years. I have found that larger guns require me to dress around the gun, especially in the summer. Printing through light weigh clothing is an issue as well as just covering the weapon. Baggy helps, but some clothing has some "memory" and getting out of a car in hot humid weather can leave a pretty recognizable impression in a cotton shirt.

I have a Glock 19 that is pretty easy to CC year round. This winter has sucked, and been pretty warm around here. I really hot weather I down size to a .380 or my Glock 26. I'm adding a S&W J frame airweight to the concealed carry battery.

Up north a 1911 sized pistol should not be a problem in the winter. but a mid-size or small framed weapon may be preferable.

Also consider carry methods. My prefered place to CC is inside the waistband at the 4 o'clock position right behind my hip. With a small pistol pocket carry in a jacket is a good option, or in a front pocket of baggy pants/shorts.

I'll add that if you have the option let your significant other find a pistol she likes, and is comfortable shooting.

If your just down the road in Jax then the guys at Gun Gallery should be able to help you out. They have a pretty good selection of rental guns in most size ranges and platforms, to be able to make an informed choice before you lay down good money on a pistol that just won't work for your needs.
    thats where I've been looking. Stopped in today and saw they had a lot of the pistols mentioned here for the most part available for rent for the range.

As for not liking subcompact its a mental issue. But for something like the Glock 30 or such would not be a problem.

Again, thanks for all the help and feedback.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have both a Glock 19 and 26, both are fairly easy to conceal. I prefer the 19. I would agree with what has been said by a few others, the 21 and the full size Smith .45 seem to be a little large for carry all the time.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I agree with Mark, picking up a good belt and holster combo really made carrying a Sig classic easier.

I am 5'8 at 145 and mainly carry my 228 in a M.T.A.C holster on a beltman horsehide. I usually wear Levis 501 jeans which are fairly fitting along with fitted polo's and have no problem with major printing (general public rarely notice if ever). I say just choose the gun you shoot better with.

Carry always and good luck.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123