Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11-87?????

Feedback Score

11-87?????

I see a lot of info on the Benelli and others in the semi-auto world.My question is what is wrong with the 11-87.I have used one or Ducks and Turkeys over the years.(I know they don't shoot back)I am just curios about why it does not make a good combat shotgun......All inputs are welcome.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Reliability. That is why alot of sporting clays shooters call them jam-o-matics. Because of their gas system design after 75-200 rds you start to have problems. This was supposedly cleared up with the 11-87 but the problem is still there. You will be alright for awhile if you start with a clean gun. My Beretta 390 is alot better, 800-1000 between cleaning. I could probably go longer but once I start having problems, I relube, finish my round(s) then clean. I wouldn't grab a 390 though for a shotgun class. Although it has a self regulating gas system, alot of the operating parts are alloy. I don't know how they would stand up to a stead 2-3 day diet of buck - n - ball.

The recoil operated Beretta FP1200 and the H&K will go and go and go like that little energizer bunny. The Benelli system seems to be good. I have no experiance with it but I haven't heard any horror stories.

If you have to have a reliable scattergun, I'd choose the 870 or the Beretta FP1200. Once the 870 gets dirty, you just have to Man'-ual it alittle more. I'd like to get my hands on a Benelli though for a couple 300 rounds or so to see how it stacks up against Beretta and H&K.

Can someone clarify for me how the benelli operates, gas or recoil?

Feedback Score
    Benelli is recoil operated, and the choice of the top 3-gun shooters.

The 1100/11-87 platform is probably the most plentiful semi-auto in 3-gun.

But in combat, for years and years no one has advocated anything other than a pump.

With less history and little need for 3 inch shell capability in a tactical role, the 11-87 falls behind the 1100 in popularity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    Can someone clarify for me how the benelli operates, gas or recoil?
    Benelli M4 is gas operated.

I looked at the M4, but ordered an FN SLP instead. FN seems to be right up there in reliability. The M4 is a great weapon but wanted to stay at a 1k budget, not 1.6over 1k and then 2-400 more for the original mag extension piece.
    Last edited by scottp999; 12-19-08 at 15:56.
    NRA, SAF, MSI, and JPFO Member

Feedback Score
    Yeah, it's sad that one of the few American manufacturers is outclassed by virtually all of their competition.

The 1100/11-87 use outdated gas systems. Once they get dirty, and they do by virtue of design, they start to choke.

I have an FN SLP Mk1 that has run 100% on whatever I feed it. I have switched between the two gas pistons without issue. After awhile I found that it was unnecessary, I leave the heavy piston in regardless of what I shoot.
    It likes to be run wet and really isn't particular about cleaning as long as it's well lubed.
    From there to here,
    from here to there,
    funny things
    are everywhere.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hags View Post
    It likes to be run wet and really isn't particular about cleaning as long as it's well lubed.
    Just like 1100s/11-87s. Imagine that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Just like 1100s/11-87s. Imagine that.
    Ha, sure, until the O-ring need replacing.
    From there to here,
    from here to there,
    funny things
    are everywhere.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I realize that your post is asking about the 11-87 but I have to give kudos to the Benelli as well.

I talked to a guy that shoots a lot of 3-gun and he recommended the Benelli to me. I didn't fully believe him until I got a good deal on a M1S90....it runs, and runs, and runs. Most of the loads I run through it are lighter bird reloads and I have had one malfunction in about 800 rounds. It was due to a wrinkle in a reloaded shell.

Cleaning it is a breeze and extremely simple compared to a gas gun.

I think the only positive about a gas gun is that the perceived recoil is less. My son has been shooting a Winchester 1400 12 gauge since he was 10, very easy on the shoulder.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hags View Post
    Ha, sure, until the O-ring need replacing.
    My 11-87 never needed one in five seasons of constant skeet and sporting clays competition. That's approximately 7,000 rounds.

How hard have you used your 11-87?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    My 11-87 never needed one in five seasons of constant skeet and sporting clays competition. That's approximately 7,000 rounds.

How hard have you used your 11-87?
    I don't use one. If I can't shoot a variety of loads through a shotgun without misfeeds or cycling problems then I have no use for it.

Mine would not cycle light loads, which is fine, I realize that it was not built for that. I sold it just the same.

I am talking about an 11-87P here. YMMV and that's good. I do wish Remington would update their gas system to something like the Benelli Inertia or the Browning/Winchester/FN gas type. The Berettas are nice too but have had their issues.
    I'd like to cheer for an American (owned and operated) firearms manufacturer when it came to a well built and versatile semi-auto shotgun (built here).

That's all I'm saying when I say the Remington gas system is outdated. They should improve it or replace it 'cause the competition is eating their lunch when it comes to s/a shotguns.
    From there to here,
    from here to there,
    funny things
    are everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast