Thread: RDS alternative ?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

RDS alternative ?

For Christmas I bought the parts to build my Son an AR carbine. Rather than just buy him one I thought we would assemble it, thereby increasing his knowledge of the system and hopefully giving him some additional pride of ownership in his new blaster. I'd like to eventually put an RDS on it for him as well but am not spending 5 or 6 hundred dollars.

So, my question is, what are some decent alternatives that are cheaper than what I've used. Basically I've own or owned many Eotechs, Aimpoints, and a few Acogs for my AR's. I know you get what you pay for bur also know there are other good sights out there.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Depends on your definition of "good".

There's no law mandating that you must buy an Aimpoint CompM4. One of the "lower end" Aimpoints has all the great Aimpoint quality just not the latest and greatest battery life that the M4 has. As an example, I bought a CompC for around 200 bucks a while back when Midway was having a sale on them.

If you look in the equipment exchanges of the various gunboards and look for sales you can probably find a quality RDS in your pricerange.

Cabelas is running a sale on some RDS optics with their brand name on them (I don't know who makes them for Cabela's) if that's more what you are looking for.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 01-11-09 at 11:55.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thanks John. $200.00 would fit the budget. I'll look that direction.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    You could look at burris's red dot sight seen here.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=664830
    I've heard that they are ok.

That being said, I agree with John_Wayne777 about trying to find a cheap aimpoint. If you aren't in a hurry and look a little, you might find one on sale. I got a few 9000sc aimpoint last fall from midway for 200 and 250(bought them at different times). If you can live with a large aimpoint, the hunting rifles are sometimes cheaper than the smaller ones, but I would recomend trying to get the shorter aimpoints since they offer greater versatility when mounting.