Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 95gr 9mm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    IIRC, the LAPD went from the 95 gr JSP, to 115 gr JHP, to 147 gr JHP.
    What was their reasoning for each of the transitions?
    Last edited by Abraxas; 01-16-09 at 16:13.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    To improve terminal effectiveness and more rapidly incapacitate dangerous threats to officers and the public.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 01-16-09 at 17:09.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    LAPD's first 9mm issue round was the Federal 95 grain soft point.
    Nice to know my memory's not completely gone. Thanks gents.

Feedback Score
    And if my memory serves correctly, the progression was Federal 95 JSP, Remington 115 JHP (was it the +P version, Doc?) and then Winchester Ranger Talon (RA9T) 147 JHP...
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    About the Radway Green 95gr JSP 9mm ammo---a few months ago I bought from Ammunition to Go a batch of 9mm 95gr JSP(XM9R01) made by Federal from RG components. Brass is marked RG with an 03 date. Primers are crimped. The bullet appears to be the same one that Federal used in its 95 grain l.e. ammo. The seller described this stuff as British sub gun ammo that could be safely fired in handguns and mentioned the intention to produce a round with less glancing upon impact with hard surfaces.

Various cops turned writers gave the original Federal round poor reviews years ago. The RG version mentioned here is hot ammo that shoots well in my Glock 19. I suspect that its performance is the same as the old l.e ammo. I bought it cheap and like it for plinking but consider it obsolete.

Feedback Score

Movin' Over

It seems to me that the progression to the 147's has begun to swing back toward middleweights in the upper midwest... 124-127 gr offerings.
    Last edited by DrJSW; 01-20-09 at 08:39.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've shot this load into water. Zero expansion, high penetration, you could have reloaded the bullet and shot it again.

Not my first choice unless I was rabbit hunting with my Glock.

Doc, you may recall that we use the 124gr +P Gold Dot here. We are one of the few 9mm agencies in the area, but all of the rest around here use the +P Gold Dot or 127gr +P+ Ranger-T.

We did some gello testing here of the various 147gr loads when I was running the range program. I'd carry the Gold Dot, Ranger-T or HST without any heartburn. I did most of our shooting with my G26s so I could get an idea how the little guns performed.

Portland reports the 147gr HST working well for them, LAPD still issues the 147gr Ranger-T, it's a very proven load.
    Last edited by tpd223; 01-27-09 at 01:56.

Feedback Score
    What is the difference in performance between the +P+ and +P loads of the 127gr Ranger-T? I see both listed in the win site:

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforce.../testing.aspx#

If you go to "Launch Testing Comparison Tool" the difference in performance doesn´t seem to justify the +P+ extra recoil, blast and wear on the gun, am I missing something?

What about these loads compared to the Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot, is there any meaningful difference?

Feedback Score
    I believe you will find only the 127 gr RA9TA is +P+, while both the 124 gr RA9124TP and RA9BAB are +P.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What Doc said.

And as far as how they compare to the Gold Dot, not much difference at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast