Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official: HK416 and 417 on civilian market in late 2009

Feedback Score

It's official: HK416 and 417 on civilian market in late 2009

Well sorta...not liking some of the details...

http://hk-usa.com/rifles.html

MR556 RIFLE

A direct descendent of the HK416, the MR556 is a semi-automatic rifle developed by Heckler & Koch as a premium level commercial/civilian firearm. Like the HK416, the MR556 is a major product improvement of conventional AR-type carbines and rifles.

Using the HK-proprietary gas piston system found on the HK416 and G36, the MR556 does not introduce propellant gases and carbon fouling back into the rifle's interior, making it the most reliable of any AR-type firearm.

The MR556 will be produced at Heckler & Koch's new manufacturing facility at Newington, New Hampshire from American and German made components. To conform to German export regulations, certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle's upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms.

The MR556 uses many of the assemblies and accessories originally developed for the HK416 series arms including the HK free-floating fourquadrant rail system/handguard. This system allows all current accessories, sights, lights, and aimers used on M4/M16-type weapons to be fitted to the MR556. The HK rail system can be installed and removed without tools and returns to zero when reinstalled.

Like the famous HK416, the MR556 uses a barrel produced by Heckler & Koch's famous cold hammer forging process. The highest quality steel is used in this unique manufacturing process producing a barrel that provides superior accuracy for more than 20,000 rounds with minimal degradation of accuracy and muzzle velocity.

Projected availability of the MR556 in the USA is late 2009.

MR762 RIFLE

Like its 5.56 mm counterpart, the MR762 is a direct descendent of the HK416/417 series, only in a semi-automatic rifle configuration developed for civilian users.

Using the HK-proprietary operating system, the MR762 is gas operated and uses a piston and a solid operating “pusher” rod in place of the common gas tube normally employed in AR15/M16/M4-style weapons. Pioneered by Heckler & Koch in the G36, HK416, and HK417; this method virtually eliminates malfunctions common to direct impingement gas systems since hot carbon fouling and waste gases do not enter the receiver area. The MR762 stays cleaner and heat transfer to the bolt and bolt carrier, and wear and tear on critical components is drastically reduced. The service life of all parts is increased substantially.

The MR762 uses a barrel produced by Heckler & Koch's famous cold hammer forging process. This manufacturing process uses the highest quality steel, producing a barrel that ensures superior accuracy, even after firing 20,000 rounds.

The MR762 will be produced at Heckler & Koch's new manufacturing facility at Newington, New Hampshire from both American and German made components.

The MR762 uses many of the assemblies and accessories originally developed for the HK416/417 series including adjustable buttstocks, ergonomic pistol grips, mechanical sights, and the HK free-floating four quadrant rail system/handguard. This MIL-STD-1913 “Picatinny” type rail system allows all current accessories, sights, lights, and aimers used on M4/M16-type weapons to be fitted to the MR series. The HK rail system can be removed without special tools by the user and ensures 100% return to zero when reinstalled.

Ambidextrous operating controls are standard on the MR762, including the charging handle and an ambidextrous selector lever. The MR762 also uses the same 10- and 20-round translucent polymer box magazines made for the for the HK417.

Projected availability of the MR762 in the USA is late 2009.
    Last edited by variablebinary; 01-14-09 at 09:42.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really wish it was just a 16" barreled, semi-only 416. To be honest it somewhat reminds me of the changes Sig made to the 552 to bring it to the US market as the 556.

I guess what it boils down to is how the pricing compares to the SCAR. I'm willing to bet this weapon will see an MSRP of at least $2200. I'm also not at all crazy about having a proprietary upper/lower interface, but I guess they've got to do what they've got to do to stay compliant with the import laws.

The 417 looks OK.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    To conform to German export regulations, certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle's upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms.
    I guess this will be a good thing for TangoDown, what with their 416-specific ARC mags and all...but still...

The MR762 also uses the same 10- and 20-round translucent polymer box magazines made for the for the HK417.
    Are these available? What do you think they'll run, $75 per?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    To conform to German export regulations, certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle's upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms.
    Stupid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    I really wish it was just a 16" barreled, semi-only 416. To be honest it somewhat reminds me of the changes Sig made to the 552 to bring it to the US market as the 556.

I guess what it boils down to is how the pricing compares to the SCAR. I'm willing to bet this weapon will see an MSRP of at least $2200. I'm also not at all crazy about having a proprietary upper/lower interface, but I guess they've got to do what they've got to do to stay compliant with the import laws.

The 417 looks OK.
    What would possibly make you equate the MR556 with the completely disgusting mis-managment SIG has showed with the 556? HK doesnt half ass anything, ever.

The only point of concern here is MR556 uppers wont fit AR15 lowers. This means the cost of entry will always be high, and cant be halved. In return you are getting a complete HK gun every time, and this isnt exactly a terrible thing by any means, but it's also a bummer at the same time

It does show 30 round 416 mags in the accessories section as well. We shall see...On the upside LWRC and POF can rest easy in knowing they now have a niche market for piston uppers that the 800lbs HK gorilla wont be playing in. If anything, this move will probably result in them getting more business.
    Last edited by variablebinary; 01-14-09 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    Ain't it nice to have choices? Never thought we'd see HK bring either one to the civilian market, much less both. Ah, 2009 is going to be a good year. SCAR, 416, Obama. OK, two out of three.... Just hope the last one does nothing regarding the first two. Not really to happy with the "proprietary"-ness of the HK, but having owned several HK weapons, I'm sure it will be an excellent carbine.

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    The MR556 will be produced at Heckler & Koch's new manufacturing facility at Newington, New Hampshire from American and German made components. To conform to German export regulations, certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle's upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms.
    Have to ask myself why, too. If it's made in the USA why not just machine the receivers there too to avoid the laws? It's just a receiver, machine it to specs, doesn't matter where you make it.. Seems like a weak excuse to me.
    Projected availability of the MR556 in the USA is late 2009.
    Too late! They might be 'obaminated' before that time..
    Last edited by joffe; 01-14-09 at 10:13.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Dear Heckler and Koch,

Thank you for the half-assed attempt at bringing such an interesting design to the U.S consumer market. Apparently you guys are asleep at the wheel and aren't paying attention to the desires of those who will purchase your stuff. You could have easily produced the weapon in the U.S thereby by-passing the stupid gun laws of the Vaterland but choose not to. Please keep those pieces of crap over there and send us a real H/K 416 that will allow us to put them on any other compatible AR lower. Thank you.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Good for them. Saves me from running into a bunch of 416 uppers on half-ass lowers. My problem with this whole thing isn't the upper/lower crap, but the late 2009 availability. This gun should have been on the commercial market here at least a year ago.

Feedback Score
    For me the biggest downer is the weight: 8.60 lbs is freaking heavy for a modern firearm. The only thing heavier that doesnt have a 20" barrel is the SIG 556 SWAT

Personally I'm not in the market for a MR556. I'd rather get a SCAR or stick with my XCR

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast