Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SBR, More than one upper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SBR, More than one upper

Can you posses more than one upper for a registered lower? If I have a registered lower with a 7.5" barrel on a form 1, can I also have a 10.5" for the same lower? Or do I need to have a registered lower for that upper as well? I have other lowers that aren't registered SBR's. Thanks for any replies.

Feedback Score
    Yes you can add to the existing lower. You can write the NFA and refer to your Form 1 or Form 4 and add a different (SBR) barrel length. I have done so in the past.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Based on what I have read -

- if the additional uppers are not permanent alterations to the SBR there is no need to notifiy the ATF

- the smart practice to avoid 'constructive intent' issues is to have one legal upper for each non SBR lower prior adding additonal SBR length uppers.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As long as you don't start doing "stupid" things with your spare lowers & SBR uppers, you should be fine.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Zam_Beek View Post
    Based on what I have read -

- if the additional uppers are not permanent alterations to the SBR there is no need to notifiy the ATF

- the smart practice to avoid 'constructive intent' issues is to have one legal upper for each non SBR lower prior adding additonal SBR length uppers.

Good luck

I am an SBR(s) owner and I subscribe to the above policies. While it's not quick and convenient, the best route is to write to the ATF for their recommendation.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Zam_Beek View Post
    This is advice worth repeating, given the manner in which ATF has interpreted NFA policy in recent years. If you've got several non-NFA lowers in your possession in various states of completion without matching 16" uppers, the prevailing government view is likely to be that your "spare" SBR uppers were intended to be mated to these non-SBR lowers; hence the danger of "constructive intent."

I'm not suggesting that this would be an open and shut case, but when you know that you're going to be treading in NFA waters, a wise man doesn't chum the area prior to jumping in.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You have to have it locked up at your grandma's house. Granny can have a key to access the upper, but she can't own her own AR.

These guidelines are specifically laid out in the constructive intent chapter of the Big Book of Internut Falsehoods.

When you think of it, they can really just get you for murder. Since gun owning is really constructive intent to kill people.

Feedback Score
    I've never done the SBR thing, but I do plan it in the future, if I funds allow.
    If I am understanding you guys correctly, then you guys are saying that it IS POSSIBLE to own MULTIPLE SBR UPPERS, to be used with ONE SBR'D LOWER. ???
    Is this correct? Furthermore, the debate seems to be that you guys are conflicted about whether or not the ATF needs to be notified, or whether or not the paperwork needs to directly state that multiple SBR UPPERS are going to be used on a SINGLE SBR'd LOWER.
    SO, IF I am understanding you guys correctly here, then WHY in the hell don't you guys INITIALLY just fill out your paperwork to show this in the beginning, when you are initially registering your SBR lower?????
    Bottom line is this: When I personally fill out the paperwork for my very FIRST SBR'd lower, I have always planned on listing MULTIPLE UPPERS (with varying bbl lengths which I will most likely purchase in the future), so that I will not be bothered with additional paperwork in the future.
    Who cares if you never get around to purchasing the additional SBR uppers in varying lengths??? You'll always be covered IF YOU DO. WHY don't all of you do this up front???
    Just wondering.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    From what I've read, the ATF doesn't like nonsense on the Form. Multi caliber, ranges of overall lengths, multiple barrel lengths, etc.

Pick a caliber and pick an OAL and Barrel length. Once you are approved, the gun IS AN SBR. You can make temporary barrel and caliber changes all you want.

If you want to prolong your application process add a bunch of nonsense on the specifics... DIG?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From what I've read, the ATF doesn't like nonsense on the Form. Multi caliber, ranges of overall lengths, multiple barrel lengths, etc.
    This was my understanding as well. Thanks

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast