Thread: Building a paper puncher, need suggestions and opinions

Feedback Score

Building a paper puncher, need suggestions and opinions

I'm in the process of building a paper puncher to use on my clubs 100 yard hi-power range. Since my distance is limited, I want to build the best paper puncher that I can (within reason), realizing that the 100 yard range is my limit.

The lower that I am using is a Smith and Wesson M&P15. It will have a Stag LPK, a Tango Down Battle Grip, and a Rock River Arms A2 butt stock to get me started.

The upper (I hope) will wear a 20" barrel with a rifle length free float 4-rail forearm, and I'd like a set of flip-ups to use when I'd like a change of pace from the scope, and pull the QD's off.
    Speaking of the scope, it will be a Mueller 8.5-25x44 AO Tactical on a set of Warne QD rings. That scope on a Bushmaster carbine is giving me 4" groups at 100 yards today using Wolf 55gr FMJ.

I'm looking for suggestions on a good barrel, BCG, and anything else that can get me to shoot 2" groups (or less) from the bench at 100 yards with this kit.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Get yourself a Krieger barrel and develop some handloads for it. I have three Krieger barreled AR-15s and every one of them has produced sub-MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Impressive grouping!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry View Post
    Impressive grouping!
    I agree. Looks to be about a 1" group. Nice shooting.
    I'd be happy to get 2" groups with my project without breaking the bank.
    My budget isn't unlimited so I do have to balance performance against cost.

Also, I don't reload and do not anticipate doing so.
    The target below was done with my out-of-the-box Bushmaster carbine wearing the scope that I described above.

This target was shot using 55gr Wolf FMJ Military Classic

The project rifle described in this post will replace the carbine as my paper puncher.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are planning on DCM type competition, the rifle has to have a stock exterior appearance so forgo the railed FF tube for a DPMS or Rock River OEM handguard style FF tube.

+1 for the Krieger barrel. They are consistantly accurrate.

My Colt 6600 barrel is a good one too running 5/8 - 3/4" for 5 w/handloads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    If you are planning on DCM type competition, the rifle has to have a stock exterior appearance so forgo the railed FF tube for a DPMS or Rock River OEM handguard style FF tube.
    Good point. I'll have to ask if stock appearance is a rule at the club.
    Thanks!