Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to get a SBR-What should I get?

Feedback Score

Time to get a SBR-What should I get?

I live in a state and county where I can get one, so I plan to do so (this is not needed for my occupation-just for recreation).

I've been thinking about a 10.5-12" barrel. I'm also considering a piston system like LMT since I want to get a suppressor.

What manufactures and rifles have you shot/owned and what would you recommend.

I'm thinking about Noveske, LaRue or the LMT piston.

Also, which suppressor do you like for a SBR. I know nothing about suppressors. I have a budget of about $3,000 for this project (not including optics-I have an Eotech 512 I can use or I may get the small aimpoint-I forget the model type, Micro?, T1?)

Thanks in advance for any input!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wouldn't touch any of the pistons on the market right now. They all have their own sets of problems.

I've never had any issues with a good old fashioned Colt Commando 11.5 or my Sabre 11.5. I'm not a big fan of anything shorter than 11.5.

I don't run my silencers on my SBRs. But if I were to get a can specifically for SBRness, It'd probably be the M4-2000 due to its superior construction and materials. It has the fully welded core, and all premium inconel materials.

Feedback Score
    I have a 10.5 inch LMT (barrel and complete lower, I put the upper together) that I use with an AAC M4-2000. If I were to do it over again, I'd buy a complete upper, probably no less than a 12 inch barrel. AAC has stated that on a 10.5 inch barrel, the life expectancy of the silencer is significantly reduced (in the neighborhood of 5000 rounds vs 100,000's). The wear on the silencer is reduced significantly as the barrel length increases.

For a range toy, the 10.5 inch is fun. A longer barrel does however mean more velocity, which is necessary for the 5.56/223 caliber to do it's job. A slightly longer barrel also adds to the effective range. Personally, I think a 14.5 inch barrel that is used by the military is about the perfect compromise. You still get good velocity out to a reasonable range, it's compact enough for most jobs, and the silencer mounts can likely be pinned if you don't want an NFA toy. Just for fun though, I really like the 10.5 inch LMT that I have. I also think it looks really good. I've had no function problems with mine.

The M4-2000 is, or at least was, competitivley priced. I hear AAC is raising the price on their cans, so it's more in line cost wise with other manufacturers. I think AAC, Surefire, and KAC all make good products. These are 5.56 cans that I have personally handled but do not own. There are likely others as well.

Take a look at some of the pictures of SBR's in this forum. It may help you decide what you want.
    Last edited by Stan_TheGunNut; 01-22-09 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If I were buying today I'd be getting a 10.5" Noveske with Switchblock and either an AAC M4-2000, Gemtech G5, or Surefire (whatever their current model that works with a 10.5" is).

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A Mk18 (BlockI or BlockII) would be worth a look - the three suppressors Rob mentioned would be my short list (M4-2k, G5, 556k).

Might also be worth considering a 12.5" setup with a longer can (AAC SPR, OPS) if you want to have one suppressor for two setups.

Also, decide if QD suppressor, or FF rail system are even a necessity. Something as simple as a Sabre 11.5" with Gemtech Piranha and TROY MRF-DI can would perform really close to a setup costing twice as much.

I'm pursuing a Novseke 10.5"/DanielDefense Mk18 Rail/VLTOR MUR/AAC Ranger-II setup right now.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Enlighten me.

These problems you speak of.....Which ones might my LMT 16 MRP Piston present me?

Feedback Score
    I'm leaning towards the 10.5 myself. Although 12ish isn't off the table just yet either.

I'll sit back and learn in this thread. Thanks for posting it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_TheGunNut View Post
    Personally, I think a 14.5 inch barrel that is used by the military is about the perfect compromise.
    That's my Go To barrel. It works great for EVERYTHING. CQB nonsense all the way out to 400 plus yards with the silencer. If I had to settle on one barrel that did everything, it'd be the 14.5 M4.

When you add the can to the equation, the port noise is so loud on an 11.5 or shorter that you end up needing your ears on anyway. (unless you've already damaged your ears to the point that it doesn't hurt) So WTF is the point?

Feedback Score
    I went with a 12.5" on mine. I had not totally settled on which silencer I am going with (I am between the SPR and the M4-2K). The SPR goes back over the barrel 2" and would not fit on a much shorter length.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's my Go To barrel. It works great for EVERYTHING. CQB nonsense all the way out to 400 plus yards with the silencer. If I had to settle on one barrel that did everything, it'd be the 14.5 M4.

When you add the can to the equation, the port noise is so loud on an 11.5 or shorter that you end up needing your ears on anyway. (unless you've already damaged your ears to the point that it doesn't hurt) So WTF is the point?
    Odd, I've never needed ear protection shooting my 11.5" outdoors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast