Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to get a SBR-What should I get?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    A Mk18 (BlockI or BlockII) would be worth a look - the three suppressors Rob mentioned would be my short list (M4-2k, G5, 556k).

Might also be worth considering a 12.5" setup with a longer can (AAC SPR, OPS) if you want to have one suppressor for two setups.

Also, decide if QD suppressor, or FF rail system are even a necessity. Something as simple as a Sabre 11.5" with Gemtech Piranha and TROY MRF-DI can would perform really close to a setup costing twice as much.

I'm pursuing a Novseke 10.5"/DanielDefense Mk18 Rail/VLTOR MUR/AAC Ranger-II setup right now.

A thread on can is a no go for an assault rifle in the modern times we live in.

Do you really want to be messing around with a thread protector and flash hider?

Risking dinging up the threads on your barrel?

The mounting system of the can is not an area to skimp on for the SBR project.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Odd, I've never needed ear protection shooting my 11.5" outdoors.
    Yeah.... I've never fired any of the OpsInc cans.

I've posted this before, but...

A guy I know has one of those YHM cans. He has mounts on his 11.5 and 16 inch barrels. I got to shoot the can on both set ups, and the port noise on the 11.5 is quite a bit worse. It actually hurts my port (right) side ear to fire that set up.

Feedback Score
    Noveske 10.5" bbl with Gemtech can. Noise from the ejection port is insignificant compared to other bbl lengths & is not painful.

Feedback Score
    What about getting a JP Enterprise VTAC AR-15 and getting it made into a SBR?

What would I need to ask JP? I think I would have to find out if I could get a carbine length gas system and a shorter VTAC fore-end. Once I complete the NFA paperwork, my local gunsmith said he could shorten the barrel and install whatever flash hider I need that would allow mounting of the suppressor.

Feedback Score
    I use a 10.5" LMT on my main SBR. It has always run flawlessly. I started using a YHM Phantom suppressor, but stopped as this is hard on the suppressor.

As mentioned above, I think a 12.5" would be a great compromise for a suppressed gun.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    A thread on can is a no go for an assault rifle in the modern times we live in.

Do you really want to be messing around with a thread protector and flash hider?

Risking dinging up the threads on your barrel?

The mounting system of the can is not an area to skimp on for the SBR project.
    Would this still apply if my intent is for a dedicated suppressed rig? Everything you said makes sense, especially the last part - would leaving it as a dedicated suppressed upper make it acceptable?
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Would this still apply if my intent is for a dedicated suppressed rig? Everything you said makes sense, especially the last part - would leaving it as a dedicated suppressed upper make it acceptable?
    I say no. For the simple reason that I would DEFINITELY take my can off to clean my bore. You don't want all that CLP or whatever you used running off into the silencer.

For one, it's gross and cleaning with a can mounted would be a pain in the ass. And two, it will smoke as the CLP burns off the next time you shoot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I went with the LMT 10.5.
    Wanted to keep it simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Noveske Crusader 12.5"

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more accurate, smoother-shooting SBR.
    Last edited by Boss Hogg; 01-24-09 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    On the aforementioned Noveske SBR (pic in earlier post), that's a 10.5" threaded bbl with a Gemtech M4-02 (Piranha) thread mounted can. It's dedicated in the fact that this is the only weapon I usually use this can on, but it has the ability to be moved from weapon to weapon. Once I get a weapon dialed-in to my preference I rarely change or reconfigure it. Granted I have other cans that thread-on & others that QD. But, this is the most often used/go to set-up that I prefer. The can is easily removed for cleaning the barrel bore, it doesn't shoot loose or unscrew of it's own accord & there's no lube or cleaning fluids entering the can, much less smoking. It's a very viable alternative & entirely possible it might suit your needs or desires. QD is nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not the end all that some would make out. Consider your needs & act accordingly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast