Thread: Speer Gold Dot-Loose Bullet

Feedback Score

Speer Gold Dot-Loose Bullet

I'm no Ballistician, but just curious to know that I found one (1) of my 9m Luger 115 GR GDHP bullet can be twisted with my fingers. This particular bullet was in the chamber on my CCW pistol. How does a bullet come loose? Is it really "bad"? Can this one be fired?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i'm not a bullestritist nor a ballistician either, but i've found plenty of .22lrs that'll spin, and will shoot without problem. they're crimped in place, though.. how's your 9 milly staying in the cartrige?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    I'm no Ballistician, but just curious to know that I found one (1) of my 9m Luger 115 GR GDHP bullet can be twisted with my fingers. This particular bullet was in the chamber on my CCW pistol. How does a bullet come loose? Is it really "bad"? Can this one be fired?
    Because the original neck tension was inadequate and the crimp was non-existant, i.e., a defective round. I wouldn't fire it.

ToddG Guest
    Agree with jsmart. I wouldn't shoot it.

Out of more than 60,000 rounds of CCI Blazer I used for my M&P endurance test, I had three bad rounds. That's a 0.00005 failure rate. It happens.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't know how old your rounds are, but years ago we had a bad run of 124gr Gold Dot that we had to trade back to CCI for new ammo. Due to poor neck tension the bullets were telescoping into the cases when being chambered.

Physically inspecting your carry ammo is important.

Feedback Score
    the case may be slightly long which will cause it to loose neck tension during the crimping phase.

Mule

Feedback Score
    Going through the same said ammunition and pulled another bullet (second one from same box) out of its casing(?) with my thumb and finger without much effort.

Feedback Score
    I would contact the ammo company or the place that you bought it and ask for a refund. You paid a fair price for it and there is a danger with defective ammo. Normally they may want you to ship it back and should ship you a new box or credit/gift certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    Going through the same said ammunition and pulled another bullet (second one from same box) out of its casing(?) with my thumb and finger without much effort.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Speer is insane about quality control. If you get the lot number off the box of ammo and call them they would take drastic steps to check the rest of their ammo. They really would like to know. It would be beneficial to them and to everyone else who may purchase ammo in that lot.

SBB

ps. Don't fire that round!