Thread: 147gr. Fangible?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

147gr. Fangible?

I was at a show and picked up a 1000 rd. bucket of ammo marked 147gr. frangible 9mm reloads for $180. I got it home and I'm thinking to myself who makes 147gr. frangible ammo. So I've been searching to no avail. Does anyone know who might make it? or did I just get taken? I'm setting up a range in my basement and don't want to start blasting until I know what I'm blasting with.
    "We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome"- unknown

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've never heard of it. Typically a frangible round is lighter than a conventional bullet. Thus a 147 gr frangible would fill up the entire case with bullet and leave almost no room for powder.

ToddG Guest
    I don't think there are too many frang bullets available for reloading to begin with. I've never heard of a 147gr 9mm one.

Does the bullet appear to be a standard FMJ? It's possible you did get frang ammo but it's not 147. Post a pic of the round (clearly showing the bullet) if possible.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Yeah it looks like a brassed cased flat nosed 9mm. Here are the best pics I could get. Hope it's good enough. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by sewvacman; 04-30-09 at 23:38.

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Would it be possible for you to pull a bullet and weigh it? I would be very surprised if it weighed 147grs.

Feedback Score
    see next post
    Last edited by Chris Sanchez; 02-07-09 at 02:36. Reason: redundancy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sewvacman View Post
    I was at a show and picked up a 1000 rd. bucket of ammo marked 147gr. frangible 9mm reloads for $180. I got it home and I'm thinking to myself who makes 147gr. frangible ammo. So I've been searching to no avail. Does anyone know who might make it? or did I just get taken? I'm setting up a range in my basement and don't want to start blasting until I know what I'm blasting with.
    Several years ago, I unintentional handloaded fragible ammo using Hornady 147gr XTP. Here is the recipe:

147gr XTP
    5.0gr N350
    COL= 1.140-inches
    Winchester Primed Brass

My country has no prohibition on the use of handloaded ammunition for self-defense, nonetheless, I never use this load anymore, shortly when I tested it against compressed bookpaper.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Would it be possible for you to pull a bullet and weigh it? I would be very surprised if it weighed 147grs.
    I wouldn't know where to begin or how to weigh it. The whole round in my hand feels slightly heavier than my 115gr stuff. I'm definitely going to shoot at the range before I blast it in my basemant.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sanchez View Post
    I never use this load anymore, shortly when I tested it against compressed bookpaper.
    May I ask why? what happened with the compressed bookpaper test. I don't use them for self defense, just training primarily. However, every gun in the house/office has the first round as frangible followed up by hollow points. I would think you wouldn't get too much penetration with the frangible, even in paper.

At least I know that 147gr frangible exists, just not if I have it. Can anyone tell me how to pull the bullet? Pliers? What would I weigh it with? I have a small digital scale for food and a hand postal scale. Neither measures Grains.