Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock vs. S&W

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Glock vs. S&W

Ok, here's my problem.

I want to get a gun for home-defense, tactical classes and competition. 9mm is what I want to go with, so my choices boil down to these:

Glock 17 or 34, Scottsdale Gun Club and SportingArms has the 34 for $579, Sportingarms has the 17 for $487 (if I go with Glock, I'm gonna mod it, sights first, then send it to Bowie to have the grip stippled (i don't trust myself) and beveled)
    S&W M&P9 Pro, Bud's has it for $579 (like above, I'm not gonna keep it stock, trigger job, change the funky looking sights and some other stuff)

What are you guys opinions and observations of these 3 guns? Also, They all fit my hand and point naturally, so I'm just looking for info.
    Last edited by Snake; 01-22-09 at 17:01. Reason: made some changes
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum.
    If you want peace, prepare for War.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If I needed to modify it that much, I wouldn't go with the Glock.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't know you, so help me understand how can you know you want to modify a pistol so extensively when you don't even own it? Are you experienced with pistols enough to determine what changes will help you shoot? Have you had extensive training in using a handgun so that the changes can be of actual benefit?

If not, one supposes it might be best to get to that point before doing any modifications.

Doesn't really matter which one you pick, Glock or M&P. Both are fine handguns.

M_P

Feedback Score
    The Glock has a longer track record. The Glock 17 has been on the US market for over 20 years and has proven itself. However, with all the changes you are planning, I can't say for sure which would be "better" or more reliable. If you really have equal feelings about each platform, you need to start nitpicking between the two of them to figure out which is going to be better for you. Personally, I prefer the Glock to the M&P. Hence why I own three Glocks and no M&P's. I've never even seriously entertained the idea of purchasing an M&P where as I've purchased three Glocks in the last week and a half and I'm planning on purchasing a Glock 20SF as soon as I can find one. After that I will probably grab a ported Glock 22.

Beyond that for all the intended uses, making changes that make the weapons better for compeition may not make them suitable for home defense or tactical training. Sometimes features that benefit one usage scenario are a detriment to the others.
    Last edited by Jack_Stroker; 01-22-09 at 16:59.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm theoretically talking about customizing. I'm still in the decision mode and was just asking for info.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
    I'm theoretically talking about customizing. I'm still in the decision mode and was just asking for info.
    Well by nature niether gun lends itself that well to customization. Not when you compare them to the 1911 or something along those lines. However since the Glock has been around longer, you will probably have more options for customization that you would with the Smith & Wesson M&P.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    John,

If I decide to get the Glock, I'm not gonna send it immediatly to Bowie, I'm gonna shoot it as much as I can in IDPA, USPSA and IPSC (if I can find one when I'm at) before sending it to Bowie.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ToddG Guest
    I'd definitely echo the comments that you need to get familiar with the guns before you start deciding to modify them. I suggest you throw the entire idea out the window and start from scratch with your thought process.

I can't sign on to the whole "the Glock has been around for 20 years" thing, sorry. I've worked for two other big gun companies and seen how their time-tested guns get modified without the consumer's knowledge year after year. Parts change, materials change, designs change. Yes, some of that is for the best -- bugs get worked out -- but some of it is cost savings or just plain mindless error.

Go to the range and rent both guns. Think about how you want to use it. Which one will better meet your needs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'd definitely echo the comments that you need to get familiar with the guns before you start deciding to modify them. I suggest you throw the entire idea out the window and start from scratch with your thought process.

I can't sign on to the whole "the Glock has been around for 20 years" thing, sorry. I've worked for two other big gun companies and seen how their time-tested guns get modified without the consumer's knowledge year after year. Parts change, materials change, designs change. Yes, some of that is for the best -- bugs get worked out -- but some of it is cost savings or just plain mindless error.

Go to the range and rent both guns. Think about how you want to use it. Which one will better meet your needs?
    Well the Glock has had a good track record overall. I realize things change, not always for the better and not always are the changes made public. Still, the weapon does have a good reputation and while the Smith & Wesson is gaining that, they still haven't been around as long.

I don't know. Maybe that doesn't matter to some people, but I think a given track record for a weapon is worth knowing and worth considering to some degree. I wouldn't base my whole decision on it. If I knew next to nothing about the weapons in question I'd give it some thought. For example, compare Highpoints reputation to say Glock's or CZ's, I'd be inclined to think that the Highpoint was more likely to be junk than the Glock or the CZ. I realize there are probably Highpoints out there that run fine and Glocks that run like crap. However those examples are probably few and far between compared to the norm. By that same token I wouldn't discount the Smith & Wesson because Glock's had a good reputation for so long.

Budget, ergonomics, aftermarket parts and accessories, factory offered options, features etc. all need to be considered and how that fits in with the intended role the weapon will be serving in.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have no experience with the S&W so I will not comment on it. I do know that the PD I work for went away from S&W to Glock because Glock is easier to maintain (less moving parts) and rarely malfunction. I have shot thousands of rounds through the Glock 17 and never had a malfunction. I have a Glock 22 (40cal) which I've had for a couple years now and I haven't had a problem there either. I would consider a different calibre for home defense. The 9mm has a high velocity and can over penetrate. This would be bad if you have kids or family in another room. I think a .45 might be the way to go for home defense imho.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast