Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Low pressure .38

Feedback Score
    You may want to try Federal's Personal Defense line. They have a standard pressure 110 gr hydra shock. Which is a lighter recoiling than most others. As soon as I shoot through this batch of Gold Dot's, I'll be switching to either that or the nyclad for my backup/off-duty gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by firecop019 View Post
    You may want to try Federal's Personal Defense line. They have a standard pressure 110 gr hydra shock. Which is a lighter recoiling than most others. As soon as I shoot through this batch of Gold Dot's, I'll be switching to either that or the nyclad for my backup/off-duty gun.
    firecop,

Is the Nyclad being produced again?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Race View Post
    firecop,

Is the Nyclad being produced again?
    Yes. It is making a return to the market last time I checked

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Although the Nyclad and 110gr Hydrashock are low recoil, I'm not impressed with either load.

Both have a tendency to fail to expand, but when they do expand they exhibit insufficient penetration.

This would be why Doc Roberts recommends wadcutters, which both cuts a decent hole and penetrates well.

IMHO, if you can't shoot the 135gr Gold Dot or the DPX well, then wadcutters are the best choice.
    Last edited by tpd223; 02-12-09 at 12:16.

Feedback Score
    Your wife is now carrying what is probably the most difficult to master self defense handgun she could have picked.

Its time to push back. I never understood why "ladys guns" are small and lightweight with short barrels. That just amplifies the recoil of any given cartridge.

First, although you didnt get into the specifics of the gun, get her a soft rubber grip that allows her to use her pinkee to grasp the gun. Most J frame grips only allow 2 fingers. Get a longer grip that allows her to use her whole hand.
    Second, consider magna-porting the gun

If you insist on keeping this gun, standard target wadcutter loads have proven to be effective given the reduced power.

re the whole .22 argument. I'm no expert, but there is a difference between rapid incapacitation and killing. I've no doubt a .22 can kill even large, angry animals of the 2 and 4 legged kind. I do doubt that it will take the fight out of them rapidly with anything other than a shot to the brain or spine.

Don
    Last edited by dcmdon; 02-14-09 at 21:45.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    re the whole .22 argument. I'm no expert, but there is a difference between rapid incapacitation and killing. I've no doubt a .22 can kill even large, angry animals of the 2 and 4 legged kind. I do doubt that it will take the fight out of them rapidly with anything other than a shot to the brain or spine.
    A .22 is a great way for someone who is recoil sensitive to learn how to shoot. Once a shooter understands sight alignment and trigger manipulation, heavier recoiling guns can be introduced. The shooter needs less brain power to focus on sights & trigger, so can put more effort into recoil management.

Feedback Score
    The Nyclad is supposed to be coming out in .38 S&W only.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234