Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JP Stainless carrier for AR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

JP Stainless carrier for AR?

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7_bc.php

Anyone have any experience with these? They look ultra-nice. Pricey for sure but so is everything else right now.

Thoughts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by JP Rifles
    416 stainless steel special design carrier that includes forward assist serrations and a dust cover notch. The bore of the JP stainless carriers has a roller burnished finish for frictionless operation with no chance of peeling chrome as in standard mil-spec carriers. The exterior bearing surfaces are hand polished. When properly lubricated, both systems make your rifle feel like it was cycling on ball bearings.

Both the JPBC-2 and the JPBC-3 feature a 100% increase in bearing surface for smoother operation and improved alignment and lower wear in the upper receiver. Both are M15 semi auto configuration in the rear with the mil-spec longer cocking pad in the front for best reliability. This is hands-down the best designed and highest quality general purpose carrier on the market. Sold as carrier with installed key.

Feedback Score
    I would be very interested to hear more about this. The better steel of the bolt aside, any bolt carrier that gives the "roller bearing" feeling would be much more enjoyable to shoot. There is nothing else that compares to the smoothness of an HK roller-bearing gun such as the MP5 or HK53.

Feedback Score
    I replaced the M16 carrier in my Noveske VTAC N-4 with one of these carriers. The operation of the gun feels much smoother when charging it or when working the action by hand. The oil burnished finish on the part makes it feel slick without any lube.

If you do choose to put one in your gun, check the staking on the carrier key. The one I bought was kind of dodgey and needed a session with the MOACKS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, I decided to throw down for one. This is already an expensive build with all top of the line stuff so I figured why the hell not.

I'll post a brief review here later in the spring when it gets it's first try-out.

Still would like to hear from anyone else who has tried one.

Feedback Score
    Looking forward to hearing your take - I'll stay subscribed to the thread. I've used the Young Mfg. chrome carrier (staked via MSTN) and like how slick it is - this one sounds even better.

Feedback Score
    I like the idea of SS, I like Chrome better. What I worry about is that the SS and Chrome is harder than the Al in the upper reciever. I'd rather chrome the inside of the upper reciever and run standard parts. Make cleaning easier. Replace the BCG not the upper. ???
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, I'm definitely a fan of stainless instead of chrome. I've seen too much chrome plate peel off over time. I was looking at that TiN coated BCG. TiN is applied / bonded differently & so won't peel. But stainless goes all the way through vs. just a coating. More then that, I've got a long wait still for the TiN BCG, vs. if JP is up to date on their shipping I'll have their stainless version by the end of the week maybe. I'm not a patient person. lol

An engineer on another board was telling me that the typical 4140 steel would normally be better then stainless for some applications but my gut is telling me this isn't one of them. I could be wrong but I'll only find out a number of years from now after many thousands of rounds fired.

As for the inside of the upper... as I understand it, certain aluminum oxide coatings (like those on surefire flashlights) approach the hardness of diamond. I'm not sure what's on these AR receivers but if it's anything like that it should hold up OK I'd think, as long as there aren't any sharp edges on the BCG to dig in.
    Last edited by 0reo; 01-26-09 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    Oreo

Was that chrome flaking in a firearm, or other application. Was it hard chroming over what substrate?

Thanks,
    Mark
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not in a firearm- as I'm new to firearms (about a year) but in pretty much every other application I've seen it used in my life, mostly on steel (car parts, bike parts, knife parts, trim of all sorts), I've seen it peel. Now, maybe it was all just poor quality chrome jobs but I've learned to not trust chrome for anything other then looking pretty. I've never seen TiN & similar treatments (there are many) peel so if I want surface treatment that's the way I'd go.
    Last edited by 0reo; 01-26-09 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakmeister View Post
    I would be very interested to hear more about this. The better steel of the bolt aside, any bolt carrier that gives the "roller bearing" feeling would be much more enjoyable to shoot. There is nothing else that compares to the smoothness of an HK roller-bearing gun such as the MP5 or HK53.
    H&K weapons are roller-locking, not "roller-bearing."

The bolt group rides on the lands of the carrier, not the locking-rollers. In the fore and aft views pictured below, one can clearly see that the rollers don't even protrude enough laterally for them to make any significant contact with the inside of the receiver.

The JP carrier is indeed one of the "slickest" carriers I have ever used. I'm running one of them in one of my precision builds and if it holds up over the long run, I'll be using more of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast