Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sound and hearing loss

Feedback Score

sound and hearing loss

I see a lot of photographs of people using their AR's, from soldiers on patrol or in firefights to LEO's on raids to the heavy hitters on various forums in high-level training. In each and every case, I see the operator wearing hearing protection, from sound attenuating muffs to ear plugs both reusable and disposable. However, in all these cases, the operator was planning on shooting, and could plan ahead with proper gear.

For those who keep an AR by the bed post, or for those who keep one in their trunk for rapid deployment, what do you all use for hearing protection? In a rapidly escalating defensive situation, there likely won't be time to don hearing protection. How do you all plan on protecting your hearing?

I see plugs and muffs with ratings from 9db to 33db. The highest rated plugs tend to be the cheapest disposable ones, while the lowest rated plugs are the more expensive dual purpose plugs.

For that matter, what about the members of your family? Do they have active muffs, or access to plugs, or have they been trained to cover their ears?

This may be a silly question, but the only realistic scenario I ever see of actually having a need to use my AR will be in a purely defensive role from within my home. Any firearm will be dangerously loud when fired in an enclosed room or hallway without hearing protection, but a rifle cartridge will be painfully and dangerously loud.

I fired one round from my rifle outside with a loose muff and I had ringing and pain for a week. It's one reason I have considered going to the pistol caliber carbine for home defense - it's just not as loud. A suppressor would be nice, but I can't afford one.

Any comment?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used to fire a mag out of whatever I had every now and then just to remember what I'd be getting myself in to if I ever had to use it. I haven't done it with the SBR, but I don't think I'll need to. It's not really a first choice go to weapon.

Losing hearing for a little bit is a really really really small price to pay, I'd imagine.
    Last edited by natdm; 01-22-09 at 00:40. Reason: content

Feedback Score
    My bedside gun is a suppressed P226. No worries about hearing loss unless they get a couple shots off.

I'll be picking up an M42k for my rifles later this year.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by natdm View Post
    Losing hearing for a little bit is a really really really small price to pay, I'd imagine.
    Hearing loss is not temporary. It's permanent. You effectively kill the cells that translate pressure into "sounds" starting with the highest frequencies. That's why teenagers can hear cell phone ringtones that most older adults cannot.

Firing your gun without hearing protection "to remember what (you'd) be getting into" is like shooting yourself in the stomach to toughen up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    When hunting I try to wear earpro. At 0300 in my house I'm not even gonna pretend it's an option. I have a suppressor and if SBRs were an option I would keep it attached, but on a title 1 weapon its just too long for the house. I am acquiring a KX3 sized sound moderator for use indoors. Should make a 16" barrel relatively quiet--by that I mean 155 db or so.

Feedback Score

NIHL - Noise Induced Hearing Loss Prevention

In my EDC kit I carry aspirin and vitamin E in case of accidental exposure to a loud noise such as a gunshot. There is research that indicates some of the damage can be prevented by taking these up to three days after exposure.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.ph...=15433&hl=nihl
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    if you find yourself needing to grab your AR for a defensive situation its because someone's life is in danger. you're just gonna have to have the possibility of a little hearing loss.

western houses with their stick framing, textured sheetrock, wall-to-wall carpet and furniture absorb a TON of sound. firing inside a house isn't nearly as loud as firing at the range.

ARs are loud, but not that loud. i fired M16A2s outside without any hearing protection more times than i can count. it's loud, but not ear-numbingly so. while stupid, and while i'm SURE it did contribute to my current problem with cumulative hearing loss, im convinced that doing it once isn't going to deafen you.

Feedback Score
    I have tested great hearing. I've been around airplanes, guns, boats, and loud cars all my life. While I wore/wear top of the line headsets in the plane I only wear the cheap foam ear plugs found at walmart, on the range. .

I had my hearing tested early and late last year. Both times the audiologist said my hearing was of the best he's tested.

I haven't even considered placing ear protection bedside. I simply don't think my fine motor skills will allow me to roll up the foam and insert it in a timely matter. I suppose I could have a headset near by but... sort of the same scenario.

The OH SHIT situations I've encountered; I can't remember hearing anything. I don't know if that means some sort of hardwired of chemical reaction takes place that protects your hearing or if your brain reverts all available resources towards other senses and actions and.... I have no answers for that. Perhaps damage still occurs even though you don't sense the pain? Perhaps it doesn't? Any scientist or Dr. want to weigh in on this?

I know that the most painful thing I've ever been around when it went off without hearing protection was a keltec 380.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    ZDL when your blood is up you don't hear the noise but it is still every bit as damaging.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    ZDL when your blood is up you don't hear the noise but it is still every bit as damaging.
    I don't doubt your right I'm just curious the science behind it. The body is amazing at protecting itself. It's not a trick that causes us to see things in slow motion and hear more/less depending on the circumstance. It's our body adapting to the situation and our brain figuring out the best way to survive. I'm curious the science behind it is all. I'm nerdy like that.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast