Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old is new again: 92G Vertec

Feedback Score
    Not to digress too far from the topic, but did the Marines approach Beretta about modifying the M9 into the M9A1, or was this a Beretta proposal to the Marines?

ToddG Guest
    The latter. The original goal was to convince the .mil to replace every frame (or better yet, every gun) in DoD service with the M9A1.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the insight. I've heard next to nothing about the M9A1 in service, although presumably it's performance and reliability would be similar to a standard M9.

Feedback Score
    To this day I can still shoot a Beretta better than about any other gun.

My ideal Beretta would be a 92G-SD Centurion. Throw the Elite hammer and mag release on it, put on some Hogue checkered coco bola grips, slap some Trijicons on it, and matte hard chrome the slide and barrel. Mmmm, I wish I was loaded.
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    I just picked up a Beretta 96G-SD. I started with Beretta's and I've always liked them. I haven't had a chance to shoot the new gun yet, but I hope to do so this weekend.

To me either the Vertec or the 92G-SD/96G-SD are the ideal configuration for the Beretta design.

Feedback Score
    Seen the Beretta web site lately? Looks like a Cabelas catalog selling all manner of non-gun things. Weird.
    https://www.berettausa.com/Default.aspx

So why did Beretta get rid of the Vertec and other models that Beretta fan like so much? Were they not selling well or is Beretta just not listening to their customers?

The Storm looks interesting but not interesting enough for me to try over the newer HK's and the M&P series.

Not a Beretta fan myself. I think it's an awful military weapon with a DA trigger, clunky controls, and a safety that makes no sense to me at all in location or operation. I would have preferred the Sig P226 even with it's first DA trigger.

Feedback Score
    Also thicker trigger guard, PVD coating and slightly changed mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The two main differences are the grip frame and barrel length.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    Also thicker trigger guard, PVD coating and slightly changed mags.
    The Vertec comes with the "sand resitant magazines" but all Beretta .40S&W 96/90-Two and 9mm 92/90-Two magazines are interchangable. I've got some of those magazines and they work fine in my 92FS. Also the mags are PVD coated, the pistol itself is Bruniton finsihed. The trigger guard is thicker, and is reshaped to better facilitate the attachment of lights/lasers. The 96G-SD is fairly similar to the Vertec, but has the standard length barrel shared with the normal 92/96 pistols, but is stainless steel now. The frame has new checkering on the front and backstraps comapred to the 92FS. I've got to say I love the Brigadier slide.

Not a Beretta fan myself. I think it's an awful military weapon with a DA trigger, clunky controls, and a safety that makes no sense to me at all in location or operation. I would have preferred the Sig P226 even with it's first DA trigger.
    That's about how I feel about the SIG. I can't stand the high bore axis, ergonomics, or pretty much anything else about them. I feel indifferent about the trigger. The DA trigger pull on the Beretta isn't great, but the SA pull is fine as far as I am concerned.

To each their own I guess.
    Last edited by Jack_Stroker; 03-11-09 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    I know the pistol is Bruniton finished. I was referring to the mags but it wasn't clear. 1st I've heard of the PVD mags with Vertecs. I assumed they came out with the PVD as a result of the military debacle with Checkmate mags.

I'm not saying Sig is my 1st choice in general, especially these days, but since it basically tied the Beretta I would have preferred it if I could only choose from what was in the trial. As it happens we didn't have to choose because we kept our 1911's.

BTW I don't see a difference between the Sig and Beretta bore axis height.
    Last edited by HK45; 03-12-09 at 09:57.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    I'm new to the personaly owned beretta world. I picked up a 92D and wanted to now if there is a short trigger for it? Now after reading this isolated bit of info I'm not sure. Could you expand? I'm looking for a shorter reset.
    There is only one "short trigger" for all 92- and 96-series guns to the best of my knowledge. So if you find a Beretta 92/96 short trigger, it will work in your 92D.

Seen the Beretta web site lately? Looks like a Cabelas catalog selling all manner of non-gun things. Weird.
    Beretta dramatically expanded its clothing and knife lines in '01 and has been moving hard in that direction ever since. When I worked there ('00-'02), Franco Beretta, the heir apparent, was not at all shy about his desire to see Beretta change from a gun company to a clothing company. The goal was to be bigger than Columbia by 2010.

I know the pistol is Bruniton finished. I was referring to the mags but it wasn't clear. 1st I've heard of the PVD mags with Vertecs. I assumed they came out with the PVD as a result of the military debacle with Checkmate mags.
    That is my understanding, as well. The PVD mags definitely weren't standard when the Vertec first came out. They hadn't been developed yet.

BTW I don't see a difference between the Sig and Beretta bore axis height.
    (1) I think the Beretta has a lower bore axis.
    (2) I think most people make a much bigger deal out of bore axis than it deserves.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast