Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is the scoop on Hornady's new handgun ammo with the plastic in the hollow point.

Feedback Score
    This Hornady ammo reminds of all the guys who always talked about filling the hollowpoint cavities with such things such as wax, silicone, or grease to facilitate expansion, and reduce clogging with clothing. Hornady seems to have done just that with the use of this elastomer plug in the cavity. At this point to me it seems like DPX is the most consistent load out there in .38 Special.

I have heard rumors of the patent for Barnes bullets expiring in the near future, leaving the door open for other manufacturers to make their own copper bullets. I have seen Magtech copper pistol bullets, and many manufacturers now produce copper rifle bullets. Are there any specific details on the patent?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    DocGKR,

Have you ever seen or heard of a 38 Sp Corbon 110 gr JHP DPX using Barnes XPB all copper bullet failing to expand or penetrate properly when shot out of a 2"inch revolver either in bare or 4LD? Almost sounds like the magic load for the 38 Sp BUG as long as the shots are unobstructed torso hits. I'M still hanging with a decent amount of Fuzzies Safe Stop 148gr FMJ cup faced full wad cutters @700fps but was looking at the DPX for speed loader or speed strip use for faster reloads.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The 110 gr XPB bullets appear to work well, but Corbon seems to have relabeled this loading as a +P; velocity and code number is the same on the box, but recent production is now labeled +P...very odd.
    Is this re-labeled +P the same ammunition you recommend for .38 Sp.?
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    "Is this re-labeled +P the same ammunition you recommend for .38 Sp.?"
    Seems to be.

"Have you ever seen or heard of a 38 Sp Corbon 110 gr JHP DPX using Barnes XPB all copper bullet failing to expand or penetrate properly when shot out of a 2"inch revolver either in bare or 4LD?"
    Nope. I have the 110 gr DPX in my J-frames.

Feedback Score
    I know the FTX isn't designed to go through intermediate barriers (glass, walls, etc.) or at least so says the advertising IIRC but I was wondering how it does through barriers just out of curiosity anyway? Anyone know?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I carry in New Jersey while off-duty using my J-frame loaded with fuzzies Safe Stop .38spl 148gr plated cup-faced full wad-cutters during the summer, I wonder if the "CUP-FACE" of the Safe Stop full wad-cutter would be considered a Hollow Point under New Jersey's law? While the bullet is fully plated and No Exposed Lead or jacket notches I have never seen a picture of a fired round. DocGKR I'M sure you tested this load did you see any disruption/up-set of this Cup-Face during your tests?

Thanks
    Phila PD

Feedback Score
    There is no advantage to the cup-face vs. a flat face.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Phila PD wrote,
    I carry in New Jersey while off-duty using my J-frame loaded with fuzzies Safe Stop .38spl 148gr plated cup-faced full wad-cutters during the summer, I wonder if the "CUP-FACE" of the Safe Stop full wad-cutter would be considered a Hollow Point under New Jersey's law? While the bullet is fully plated and No Exposed Lead or jacket notches I have never seen a picture of a fired round. DocGKR I'M sure you tested this load did you see any disruption/up-set of this Cup-Face during your tests?

Thanks
    Phila PD

There is no advantage to the cup-face vs. a flat face.
    Yes Sir I understand that, my question is more based on could a New Jersey Prosecutor try to make a case that the Safe Stop bullet is of Hollow Point design because of the "Cup Face" indent even though the bullet is fully plated and non-notched. My inquiry was to ask if you have ever seen during your testing of Safe Stop bullets that the Cup Face indent flatten or caused the diameter of the bullet to increase in any way on impact with ballistic gel or any other barrier you may have shot. My hoping is that it does not and my response if question is that the Safe Stop .38spl 148gr cup-faced wad-cutter is a non-expanding solid and that the cup-face indent is non-functioning as a so called hollow point.

Feedback Score
    There is no scientific possibility that the Safe-Stop could ever be considered a JHP.

Of course what do I know--there is no difference in practical functionality between a Colt AR15 and a Ruger Mini-14, but nevertheless the CA gov't ignored science and banned one as an evil black "assault weapon", while the other is a fine upstanding citizen's rifle--even though both are the same caliber, have same size magazines, and offer the same rate of fire...

Feedback Score
    There is no scientific possibility that the Safe-Stop could ever be considered a JHP.
    How about a 'political' possibility???
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 07-06-09 at 10:58.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456