Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Hollow Point Carry Load

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Non Hollow Point Carry Load

To carry in New Jersey under the federal law my department has directed that Philadelphia PD Officers must carry Non Hollow Point Ammunition to comply with New Jersey State Law of no H/P use except by on-duty NJ Law Enforcement personal. What would be the general opinion on what would be suitable as a non H/P carry load for my week end trips to the shore. I own sub-compact models in every caliber to .45acp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    To carry in New Jersey under the federal law my department has directed that Philadelphia PD Officers must carry Non Hollow Point Ammunition to comply with New Jersey State Law of no H/P use except by on-duty NJ Law Enforcement personal. What would be the general opinion on what would be suitable as a non H/P carry load for my week end trips to the shore. I own sub-compact models in every caliber to .45acp.
    That law is a ****in joke! (Although I'm surprised CA hasn't enacted it (yet)...) I'm a white dude with a shaved head and dont like to wear hats, so I look EXACTLY the same out of uniform. The A/H that might recognize me off duty isn't gonna be nicer to me b/c I'm out of uniform! Female deps can let the hair down and throw some make-up on and look completely different.

That said, some might go with the whole "tried by 12 than carried by 6". I agree, but if you want to stay within policy, I would check out the Federal Expanding FMJ rounds;

Or maybe those Corbon Pow'R Ball rounds;

Or move....
    Last edited by 96GTS; 01-31-09 at 11:09.

Feedback Score
    EFMJ would be my first choice if a good JHP is not authorized due to insanely illogical and ignorant regulations...

ToddG Guest
    While I'm certainly not suggesting anyone volunteer to be the test case, it will be interesting to see how this plays out the first time the NJ AG gets his wish and a cop is locked up for carrying JHPs under HR218. I think it's going to be very hard to convince a federal judge that HR218's effect covers the gun but not the ammo inside it.

Taking the NJ argument to its logical conclusion, they could ban possession of ammunition altogether, which would clearly disrupt the purpose of HR218.

Again, I am not recommending anyone volunteer to test this legal theory by getting tossed in jail.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Whoops, nevermind.

Reading is fundamental...
    Last edited by MisterWilson; 01-31-09 at 09:28.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I always carry JHP in NJ under HR 218. The effectiveness of my round, is more important than the risk.

Feedback Score
    Is Philly PD also one of those depts that doesn't allow officers to carry a BUG on duty?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96GTS View Post
    Is Philly PD also one of those depts that doesn't allow officers to carry a BUG on duty?
    You are correct Sir!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stunning, just stunning.................

Feedback Score
    Man, I feel your pain. As Doc said, the best load would be EFMJ which is better than FMJ, but usually not as good as a true JHP. Federal makes a nice one and from the testing I've seen the 9mm seems to run the best with this bullet design in terms of good penetration and expansion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast