Thread: POF .223 Owners

Feedback Score

POF .223 Owners

I have an AAC M4 2000-08 that I mount on my POF. It doesn't matter which direction I have the piston installed it will not reliably feed ammo nor lock the bolt open on an empty mag with the AAC mounted. Is there anyone here with this same setup, if so what has your experience been?

I asked POF about this and they said the single groove end of the piston should face toward the muzzle when shooting suppressed. I am going to call them again to see what they say about the AAC not cycling the action completely. The AAC is great and I really like shooting with it but I'd like the POF to function properly when it is mounted.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Feedback Score
    I've run many thousands of rounds through my AAC M42000/POF combo without any problems.

What type of ammo are you using?

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have the gas plug installed in the right direction? It can roll either way, but one way will cut off the gas to the piston system.

USSA-1
    Occupo Mens- Win the Fight
    United States Shooting Academy

Feedback Score
    I've used AE XM193, PMC, Black Hills, and handloads and none of them will fully cycle the action. I've tried the piston both ways. According to POF the end of the piston with the single groove goes towards the muzzle when shooting a can. It's good to hear that you are running this combo with no issues. Do you have the .223 or .308 model?

Feedback Score
    I have a POF 9.25" upper with an AAC M4-2000, 06 on it. At first, it would not function with the AAC with the piston in either direction, but functioned fine without the AAC. I sent the upper back to POF and when it returned, it worked with all 5.56 ammo, any weight bullet, with and without the AAC. I now shoot mostly Hornady TAP 5.56 75 gr. and XM193 with absolutely no problems and very accurate with both loads.

Call Chris at POF and ask to return the upper for repair. It will probably take a little while, but I'd bet that it will work well when you get it back.

Feedback Score
    ^^ This is the Grail I seek! I am going to settle on a 60-62gr handload. I have some leftover Berger 62gr and just bought 60gr Sierra Varminter HP's based on others reviews. I want one handload combo to keep things simple, sort of like my own XM193 of handloads. The Federal AE XM193 are the shiznit.

I spoke with Chris before and he told me to make sure the piston has the single-groove forward with a can mounted. It made no difference on my rifle. I'll definitely be mentioning your experience to him because this is exactly the same issue I am having. I suspect it has something to do with the piston. I'm curious if you could tell what they did to your upper to fix it? As soon as I have my GAP bolt back I'll ship the upper off to POF. (Can't bear to be w/o both tactical rifles at once.)

Feedback Score
    As far as I know, they fixed the piston. Probably resized the holes.

Feedback Score
    I suspect you are correct. It would be awesome if all they had to do was replace the piston. Thanks for the feedback.