Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The word from Federal on XM193.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The word from Federal on XM193.

I tried to do some research on what the "X in XM193 stands for. I had been told and read that this means military rejected. Federals techs said that the "X" is to denote the civilian ammo. It is Lake City whether it is White Box A,B,C,D or whatever letter they are using today. The last letter is for packaging. Black box American Eagle is made by Lake City. I was told this in two diferent return phone calls by two different techs. " XM193 is not rejected". It is mil spec Lake City M193 I am sure some will doubt this.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    It is not military m193 ammo.

If it was, it would be labeled m193 instead of xm193 - right?

That said, it is usually still very good ammo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    It is not military m193 ammo.

If it was, it would be labeled m193 instead of xm193 - right?

That said, it is usually still very good ammo.
    You are right in that the military would have to use the ammo to make it M193. The point that I am making is that the box and letters are the only thing that makes XM193 different from M193. Their are alot of people who are saying XM193 is rejected military contract ammo. This is not the case.
    Last edited by 1911pro; 02-04-09 at 01:44.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If it were military ammo it wouldn't have the NATO cross on the headstamp. M193 isn't a NATO round.

Thus, it couldn't be military rejected ammo. It's been speculated that the individual components didn't pass some spec prior to assembly. Brass too shiney, primers not sealed completely, etc.

But think of how many zillions of rounds of this ammo that has been produced. No plant's QC is that bad. I think it's a money maker at this point.

Feedback Score
    The local Sportsman's Warehouse has this type. There was a large stack of it and all other 5.56mm/.223 ammo was sold out. Seems nobody was interested, although I bought a couple boxes to try out:

Originally, didn't the "X" stand for "Experimental"?

Last edited by Slater; 02-07-09 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just left my local Sportsman's Warehouse and they had about 20 boxes of .22-250, about 10 boxes of .30-06, and about 30 boxes of .45 ACP, AND THAT WAS IT!!!

Not even any .22lr. The guy working the counter told me to come back Tues @ 2 as that's when their delivery comes in. He said last week he saw an elderly couple FILL a cart with ALL the 9mm that came in and buy it all.

If I found a stack of XM193 at my Sportsman's Warehouse, I'd shit a bird, and buy as much as I could without getting DIVORCED!

BUY MORE!

-RD62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post

No.

I don't think any manufacturor wants any piece of "experimental" action when it comes to ammunition.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    yes, in the military.. xm177, xm16e1, for example

Feedback Score
    No argument there, but looking at the military side of things an "X" prefix denotes Experimental. Evidently it's different for commercial sales.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    I just left my local Sportsman's Warehouse and they had about 20 boxes of .22-250, about 10 boxes of .30-06, and about 30 boxes of .45 ACP, AND THAT WAS IT!!!

Not even any .22lr. The guy working the counter told me to come back Tues @ 2 as that's when their delivery comes in. He said last week he saw an elderly couple FILL a cart with ALL the 9mm that came in and buy it all.

If I found a stack of XM193 at my Sportsman's Warehouse, I'd shit a bird, and buy as much as I could without getting DIVORCED!

BUY MORE!

-RD62
    Hell, I would have, but all I had in my wallet was $12. Oh well, maybe there'll be some left next week since it doesn't appear to be a sought-after item in these parts

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast