Thread: Is this normal for Hollow Points?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Is this normal for Hollow Points?

Pardon my ignorance but I have never used hollow points before except with handguns and I was just wondering if this was ok and or normal. They came from a box of Red Box Black Hills 75 Gr. Match HP. About half were hollow and the other half looked like there was something in the hole.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Hollowpoint rifle ammo

I have a case of the 7.62 168 match black hills ammo myself and all of them have that little...I guess I don't know what it is other than some tiny pebble looking thing...it's in the tip of the bullet...if you dig at it with a fingernail it comes out easily...I believe it's put in there to help force expansion and prevent the hollowpoint from clogging up with heavy clothing or other materials when it strikes a target..I think it's similar in function to polymer tips in that it forces the projectile to mushroom but I'm no expert so don't quote me on it.

Leave the guns...bring the cannolis.
    Give me but one firm spot on which to stand and I will move the Earth. -Archimedes

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    let me take a guess,,,that's either a peice of corncob,or a peice of crushed walnut media used to polish the bullet.

Feedback Score
    Off topic here, but do those bullets appear to be seated to different depths?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have tried to pick it out with a needle and they wont budge. Only one came out that I tried on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's tumbling media, and can usually be shaken or picked out if bothers you. It has no discernable effect on performance.

BHA tumbles loaded ammo for cosmetic appearance. In a box of 50rds of HP/OTM, there were be several rounds that look like that. A norm, rather than exception.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    That's tumbling media, and can usually be shaken or picked out if bothers you. It has no discernible effect on performance.

BHA tumbles loaded ammo for cosmetic appearance. In a box of 50rds of HP/OTM, there were be several rounds that look like that. A norm, rather than exception.
    Thanks. I didn't think it was going to be a problem. Just wanted to check and make sure though.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You will see the stuff if you buy Hornady match bullets. My guess is that Hornady tumbles there bullets and the media gets stuck.

Feedback Score
    It's polishing media. I get it in my match bullets all the time. I've never noticed any differences in the performance of those bullets. The hollow points are so tiny in match bullets that the polishing media gets in and can't get out.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR.