Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading 223 or trying.

Feedback Score

Question Reloading 223 or trying.

Can any one help me with the Hornady 223 die set? Thay are sticking in the resize die. I have used lube, but this is the third time now and I have yet to make one reloaded 223. I have sent the die back to have them remove stuck case. What am I doing wrong???I am also using the Hornady single press. It must be somthing that I am doing wrong!

Feedback Score
    What type of lube are you using, and where are you lubing the case?

What shell plate are you using?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Are you using Hornady one shot lube?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UVvis View Post
    What type of lube are you using, and where are you lubing the case?

What shell plate are you using?
    I have the Hornady classic reloading kit. It is a single stage press, it came with one shot lube that I spray on and finger the lube around the case and neck. It says to let it stand a short time and than size. I do not have a shell plate holder, I am using the shell holder that came with the 223 dies.

Feedback Score
    I use the same stuff sometimes and have had no problems with it. Maybe you are not spraying enough on the brass.
    Last edited by Scattergun; 12-21-08 at 17:33.
    The devil danced as he went down
    In the hail of arrows comin'
    Out on the wild Montana ground,
    Custer died a-runnin'.

Feedback Score
    Stuck cases are not uncommon with one shot. You can try using more or another lube. You can get a stuck case remover kit as well, that way you don't have to send the die off to have the case removed.

You can also try some imperial sizing wax, you need very little of it. I brush the top with my finger and roll the brass between finger and thumb at the neck and the body. I can do 4-5 pieces of .308 brass before needing to get more wax on my finger.
    Last edited by shadowalker; 12-21-08 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    I have the exact same set up. You need to use a liberal abmount of that stuff on 223 brass. I got a case stuck early on cause of not enough lube. What die set are you using and what shell holder are you using. I bought the New Dimension dies and they did not come with a shell holder. I had to buy shell holder mumber 16.

You will need to use a generous amount of lube, I found that out in the same manner you did. I was able to get the case out by using the instructions found in the Hornady reloading book (if your kit came with one)

-DM-
    Last edited by R1pper; 12-22-08 at 07:54.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ditch the one shot that stuff is crap. I use RCBS case lube and role them on a lube pad.

Feedback Score
    Thank you people for helping me get going. I will try other lubes and shell holders, I have some lube and pad coming. Thank you all for the info!!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    The guy in this .223 Case Preparation Video shows how to use Castrol Synthetic Oil as lube (starting at 4:25 in the video). It appears to work well. Does anybody have an opinion on using it for lube?
    Last edited by zippygaloo; 12-21-08 at 23:36.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast