Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Piston Rifles; LWRC or LMT?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    my interest is strictly in the differences between an LMT and LWRC piston weapon. Are they identical systems, or does one have mechanics that stand out over the other?

Regards,
    OH58D
    LWRC has 3 pieces to their 'piston' system and you have to take off the top rail to access it. That said, their piston system sits lower to the bore and under their top rail.

LMT only has two pieces to their 'piston' system and can be accessed by only removing the gas cup. BTW, that same gas cup can be turned upside down to block the gas port from the barrel to make it a true single shot rifle. LMTs can also be changed quickly to different calibers without changing the entire upper. As a matter of fact, their entire upper is a true one piece billet and extremely stiff and well built. You can even change back to their DI system with just a barrel/BCG change.

I have nothing bad to say about either system. I just bought the LMT because I liked the idea of changing calibers/systems without keeping complete separate uppers. I really like my LMT as you can tell, but I'm sure if they weren't available, I would have gone with LWRCI.
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 02-09-09 at 20:42.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Does either system suffer from the issue of a QD-suppressor mount FS with a larger diameter, blocking access to the gas piston assembly for cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Cohibra45 View Post
    LWRC has 3 pieces to their 'piston' system and you have to take off the top rail to access it. That said, their piston system sits lower to the bore and under their top rail.

LMT only has two pieces to their 'piston' system and can be accessed by only removing the gas cup. BTW, that same gas cup can be turned upside down to block the gas port from the barrel to make it a true single shot rifle. LMTs can also be changed quickly to different calibers without changing the entire upper. As a matter of fact, their entire upper is a true one piece billet and extremely stiff and well built. You can even change back to their DI system with just a barrel/BCG change.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    meh..
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 02-09-09 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I suggest going back and cleaning up some post here. If you want to argue, do it offline. I'll check on it a bit later-----I cleaned up anything in here that had nothing to do with his questions---keep it on track for his and others benefit, thanks--
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 02-09-09 at 20:44.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    sorry for my part mark, but I do think that someone needs to post the poop on the whole paul thing somewhere and sticky it. Theres too much crap floating around that muddies the waters on the actual correct, and current info.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohibra45 View Post

I have nothing bad to say about either system. I just bought the LMT because I liked the idea of changing calibers/systems without keeping complete separate uppers. I really like my LMT as you can tell, but I'm sure if they weren't available, I would have gone with LWRCI.
    Best review yet.

LMT has a track record of excellence too, lets not forget that.

LMT absolutely deserves the nod as far as I'm concerned. The versatility of their design, the simplicity, the conversion abilities and the fact that LMT has done nothing but deliver quality. LWRC has a lot to prove IMO.

With time and use, maybe they'll be able to be talked about in the same sentence as LMT...but that day is not today.
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5POINT56 View Post
    Best review yet.

LMT has a track record of excellence too, lets not forget that.

LMT absolutely deserves the nod as far as I'm concerned. The versatility of their design, the simplicity, the conversion abilities and the fact that LMT has done nothing but deliver quality. LWRC has a lot to prove IMO.

With time and use, maybe they'll be able to be talked about in the same sentence as LMT...but that day is not today.
    I agree that in the industry, LMT has an excellent track record for Doing Things Right, but I still haven't seen any long-term, hard-use evaluations of their piston system as a system. The modularity, the simplicity are all excellent, I agree, and it works seamlessly within the MRP platform if you have an MRP. But I just don't know anyone who's got more than a few hundred rounds through theirs, and I want to know what happens to one of those long rods at 5k, 10k, 20k, and so on. Right now, that data doesn't seem to be there like it does for the LWRC guns, unless you have read something I haven't. Hopefully someone will take a crack at high-round-count torture testing an LMT piston, because the monolithic platform isn't offered through LWRC, and I like monolithic...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsideRook View Post
    I agree that in the industry, LMT has an excellent track record for Doing Things Right, but I still haven't seen any long-term, hard-use evaluations of their piston system as a system. The modularity, the simplicity are all excellent, I agree, and it works seamlessly within the MRP platform if you have an MRP. But I just don't know anyone who's got more than a few hundred rounds through theirs, and I want to know what happens to one of those long rods at 5k, 10k, 20k, and so on. Right now, that data doesn't seem to be there like it does for the LWRC guns, unless you have read something I haven't. Hopefully someone will take a crack at high-round-count torture testing an LMT piston, because the monolithic platform isn't offered through LWRC, and I like monolithic...
    Agreed. You would think that with LMT's track record with DI guns that their piston design would be as robust. This is only an assumption at the moment, there is no real world high round count testing that proves this as far as I know. On the other hand, the LWRCi setup has been ran hard by a lot of individuals and has proven itself. Many have an issue with the old Leitner Weiss company, that is fine but don't let that roll over to automatic hatred of LWRCi.

ETA: I just picked up a LWRCi M6A2 based on the reviews from those who have abused this system. I didn't need the mono rail and don't plan on changing calibers so the LMT wasn't as appealing to me as it is to others. Doesn't make it an inferior system by any means. I would have to assume the LMT would run right along side the LWRCi for many, many rounds.
    Last edited by bullitt5172; 02-10-09 at 11:12.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    As an owner of pre-ban AKs in the US, and have played with select fire versions overseas, you still have a basic standardized system which is robust and simple. I would hope that if the piston system AR has a future, there would be a standardized system as well. A system that is easy to maintain.

I have noticed that both LMT and LWRC have their own rail system installed. Can most rail systems (i.e. KAC RAS) work as well or are there clearance problems with the height of the piston not found with the gas tube?

OH58D
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Min was one of the fist ones, and its gone past 30K nearly all F/A, mostly suppresed, mostly wolf . I posted on TOS sight about it last year

Ive broken

solid piston cup pin, into FSB broke (Upgraded on newer models)
    piston spring broken-still runs fine (LWRC found it/replaced when it was sent in for FSB pin/BCG screws)
    original BCG dovetail screws for the BCG sheared (over torqued according to LWRC)
    mult FPs collars worn down/FP tip worn to a point
    extractor springs replaced
    Does not run with a 9mm buffer- reg H buffer works fine
    Upgraded teflon-nickle BCG screws unscrewed, restaked by me. I sent a email to darren about this since they origianlly said they didn't need to be staked since it was dovetailed. It still worked with the dovetailed key but if they would have come completly out it would have stopped the rifle

Non-upper parts
    Lower reciever bolt catch worn out no the spring but the catch (colt)
    hammer springs replaced (colt)
    Burned out 1 noveske pig blast cone. he-he
    Buffer spring replaced colt

Most of my failures have been fixed with the newer model, it has broken many parts but it also has been abused. I don't clean it and do beta mag dumps. Bolt looks nearly new though.

I wouldn't hesitate to own any of their products.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast